Maximum number of markers on newMapView

I’m plotting a variable number of points on a newMapView and and am running into either a serious lag or freeze up when hitting large numbers.  I can’t seem to pinpoint where the break actually is - but definately > 100.

Is there a maximum within the api?  or is this more device specific?

Since I’m plotting a track, I may need to divide the displaying of the points into chunks, letting the user move through blocks of time - or create some kind of running “camera” like logic.

Thanks

Dave

I don’t believe our map API’s were designed to show a large number of points and certainly wasn’t designed for path drawing. It’s more here are the few dozen businesses around you type of pin plotting.

We probably don’t have a fixed number, but each pin takes resources and the more you use the more your app’s memory and CPU profile will grow.

If you need more sophisticated mapping, consider using Google Map’s Javascript API based mapping through a webView. With that you can do overlays and path drawing and so on.

Rob

My map box plugins supports lots of markers. Note it is only on iOS, while on android I am still waiting for corona to support android aar support for the mapbox sdk.
https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/mapbox

Thanks, @Rob and @Scott.

@Scott, unfortunately, Android is a big part of this project - but I will definately take anothe look when Android support is available.  We’ve already had to split this project into a cross-platform Admin - Native Client format.  I’d hate to set two sets of source within the Admin as well.

@Rob, we are getting close to release on this, so I’ll look at the Javascript API for the next release.  I’ve gone with a rolling, last 200 points methodology which doesnt kill it too much on the devices I’ve tested.

Thanks for the responses.

Dave

I don’t believe our map API’s were designed to show a large number of points and certainly wasn’t designed for path drawing. It’s more here are the few dozen businesses around you type of pin plotting.

We probably don’t have a fixed number, but each pin takes resources and the more you use the more your app’s memory and CPU profile will grow.

If you need more sophisticated mapping, consider using Google Map’s Javascript API based mapping through a webView. With that you can do overlays and path drawing and so on.

Rob

My map box plugins supports lots of markers. Note it is only on iOS, while on android I am still waiting for corona to support android aar support for the mapbox sdk.
https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/mapbox

Thanks, @Rob and @Scott.

@Scott, unfortunately, Android is a big part of this project - but I will definately take anothe look when Android support is available.  We’ve already had to split this project into a cross-platform Admin - Native Client format.  I’d hate to set two sets of source within the Admin as well.

@Rob, we are getting close to release on this, so I’ll look at the Javascript API for the next release.  I’ve gone with a rolling, last 200 points methodology which doesnt kill it too much on the devices I’ve tested.

Thanks for the responses.

Dave