Millennial Media (mMedia) Ad Network Plugin

Hi folks, I’m trying to gauge interest in creating a Millennial Media (mMedia) ad network plugin for Corona SDK.  At this point, I can’t make any promises, but I’m very interested in making this happen, and I’m curious if anyone else out there is interested in (or excited about) seeing this happen as well.

Quick Background:  I’ve recently started working at Millennial Media, but I’ve been a professional Software Engineer (various roles) for over twenty years, and I’ve been an indie mobile developer for most of that time as well.  I fell in love with Corona SDK mainly because it allowed me to be a more productive indie developer in my precious spare time.  I’m interested in bringing mMedia to Corona developers because I think it would be a cool opportunity to help marry up two awesome capabilities.

I’m going to prioritize my activities on this project according to the interest level, so if you have any interest at all, please speak up.  It would also be interesting to hear about any compelling targets of opportunity also (e.g., Corona producers with large audiences).

Is there really zero interest level in this from both the Corona Labs and the Corona developer community?  If so, can someone at least help me understand or figure out why?

From the Corona Labs perspective, I would have thought that having one of the largest mobile ad network providers represented and available in the SDK would be good for business.  From the Corona developer perspective, I would have thought that people would be interested in having more choices (and healthy competition) to help monetize their apps.

Ray - my apologies, I received your email but have been falling behind. I’ll respond to it later today.

Awesome!  I was starting to get worried because I hadn’t received any response at all.  In fact, I just opened a support ticket as well after someone in the IRC channel recommended that as a way to get through… you can tell them to close that.  :slight_smile:

If things are crazy busy, that’s completely understandable.  I’m just hopeful that we can get something going soon… so I’m looking forward to discussing this further.  Thanks!

@Ray - can you give a 3-4 sentence summary on what is new/different/better about mMedia vs other ad networks?  (maybe this would help generate developer interest in mMedia, which would then help generate interest from Corona Labs)

Sorry for the late reply… but unfortunately I’m not the guy who can provide information like that.  I wish I could… but I’m too new to the ad tech domain… and I’m too new to Millennial to give you a good competitive positioning statement like that.

However, as an indie developer and paying Corona SDK customer, I can tell you why I think that everyone should be interested.  Monetizing apps using ad networks is a trend that’s here to stay… and there is healthy competition… which translates to more revenue for developers (if the ad network is able to make more productive placements to higher paying advertisers).

However, Corona SDK developers cannot benefit from that competition unless they have plugins for all of the top performing ad networks.  Keep in mind that it’s not uncommon for one ad network to perform better for specific apps just because each ad network has different data agreements or algorithms that just happen to produce better results for your particular audience.  That’s really important to consider, and there are even articles on Corona that show you how to use multiple ad networks for better availability.

So even without getting into what might distinguish Millennial from the crowd based on (current) features and performance, you can see that there will always be differences in each ad network that make it worth keeping your options open.  Obviously, Millennial Media is one of the best in my opinion, and I’m still an indie Corona developer as time permits, so I want to see our ad network on Corona for my own interests as well!  :slight_smile:

For anyone stumbling upon this thread, our Advertiser Media Kit provides a great overview:

http://www.millennialmedia.com/files/resources/advertiser-mediakit-2014.pdf

Is there really zero interest level in this from both the Corona Labs and the Corona developer community?  If so, can someone at least help me understand or figure out why?

From the Corona Labs perspective, I would have thought that having one of the largest mobile ad network providers represented and available in the SDK would be good for business.  From the Corona developer perspective, I would have thought that people would be interested in having more choices (and healthy competition) to help monetize their apps.

Ray - my apologies, I received your email but have been falling behind. I’ll respond to it later today.

Awesome!  I was starting to get worried because I hadn’t received any response at all.  In fact, I just opened a support ticket as well after someone in the IRC channel recommended that as a way to get through… you can tell them to close that.  :slight_smile:

If things are crazy busy, that’s completely understandable.  I’m just hopeful that we can get something going soon… so I’m looking forward to discussing this further.  Thanks!

@Ray - can you give a 3-4 sentence summary on what is new/different/better about mMedia vs other ad networks?  (maybe this would help generate developer interest in mMedia, which would then help generate interest from Corona Labs)

Sorry for the late reply… but unfortunately I’m not the guy who can provide information like that.  I wish I could… but I’m too new to the ad tech domain… and I’m too new to Millennial to give you a good competitive positioning statement like that.

However, as an indie developer and paying Corona SDK customer, I can tell you why I think that everyone should be interested.  Monetizing apps using ad networks is a trend that’s here to stay… and there is healthy competition… which translates to more revenue for developers (if the ad network is able to make more productive placements to higher paying advertisers).

However, Corona SDK developers cannot benefit from that competition unless they have plugins for all of the top performing ad networks.  Keep in mind that it’s not uncommon for one ad network to perform better for specific apps just because each ad network has different data agreements or algorithms that just happen to produce better results for your particular audience.  That’s really important to consider, and there are even articles on Corona that show you how to use multiple ad networks for better availability.

So even without getting into what might distinguish Millennial from the crowd based on (current) features and performance, you can see that there will always be differences in each ad network that make it worth keeping your options open.  Obviously, Millennial Media is one of the best in my opinion, and I’m still an indie Corona developer as time permits, so I want to see our ad network on Corona for my own interests as well!  :slight_smile:

For anyone stumbling upon this thread, our Advertiser Media Kit provides a great overview:

http://www.millennialmedia.com/files/resources/advertiser-mediakit-2014.pdf

Hi Ray

I was looking to integrate Millenial Media ads through Corona and see that there is no plugin available currently and came across this discussion. 

Any update on if it is happening and if yes then when?

thanks,

Rajat

From what I understand, now that Corona SDK is Fuse Powered, you should be able to use Millennial Media through their mediation framework.  However, to be completely honest, I have not stayed on top of that development.  I don’t know if that’s a current or future capability, but you should contact them if you need something specific.

Hi Ray

I was looking to integrate Millenial Media ads through Corona and see that there is no plugin available currently and came across this discussion. 

Any update on if it is happening and if yes then when?

thanks,

Rajat

From what I understand, now that Corona SDK is Fuse Powered, you should be able to use Millennial Media through their mediation framework.  However, to be completely honest, I have not stayed on top of that development.  I don’t know if that’s a current or future capability, but you should contact them if you need something specific.