Minor Feedback / Feature Request

Hi!

First, I would like to say that I absolutely love Level Director. It has saved our game for we were trying to make an editor for so long. Anyhow, I have been using this thing for the last month or 2 and have put quite a few hours into it. I figured I’d go ahead and list a few things that - as an artist - would make using it so much faster and nicer.

• Asset Editing while the director is open.

Right now you cannot update an image that is already loaded as an asset in the level director. (It says error file may be open in another program) This is probably one of the biggest time sinks as an artist. Making quick edits means that I have to close the director… save the image and re-open it. What I think would be an ideal solution is if the program updated on load of the level, then had you hit a button called something like “Reload Images” in order to see changes right away when updating asset images.

• Similar Multi-Object Selection Properties

What I mean here is if I select say 2 objects that have similar properties, I would like the ability to edit both objects properties at the same time. Would be awesome for things like object class… physics properties etc.

• Grid Snap Object Size

When changing a rectangle object’s size using the corner grab, it doesn’t snap when you let go to the nearest grid unit. So you have to either guess in the properties or get it close and round from there.

There may be more… but those three … are probably the biggest I can think of at the moment. 

Once again, this editor is awesome and I will continue to use it, if those things can be fixed I may poop myself. (: Sorry, back to being professional. I would be very appreciative! 

Thanks!

Hi,

I’m pleased you’re enjoying using Level Director and your feedback and ideas are much appreciated, that’s the only way it will get better.

With regards to your 3 feature requests, they are all on my to-do list;

1. Asset Editing while the director is open.
  • ​​I implemented this today and will send you a build to test.
  1. Similar Multi-Object Selection Properties
  • This has been on my list for a while but not sure if it will make this version due to the current design.  I’m working on a cross platform version which should have this built-in though.
  1. Grid Snap Object Size
  • I will start work this week on implementing this feature.

Thanks!

Freakin spectacular!!.. I will be anxiously awaiting your update! (:  

I’ve emailed you a dev build containing feature requests 1 and 3 implemented.

Thanks for the extremely fast update. It really is much appreciated and has saved me much time.

I’d like to just go ahead while I have this thread going to add 4 more things I have found that would be very useful to have fixed. You have helped me so much so far so I understand if these are getting a bit too needy.

1. Accurate display of blendmodes in the editor:
  • Right now it is kind of a guessing game as to what looks good or not in the editor for setting differrent objects with different blendmodes.
  1. Rotated object editing using corner grab:
  • If an object is rotated by any amount other than 0 and 180, editing that object with the corner grab technique is almost impossible to use. It seems to be that the values its sending for width and height are backwards.
  1. Setting an image object to a negative rotation crashes the editor.
  • This seems like a new bug, but it results with an out of memory error. I can post the entire error if need be.
  1. Rectangle StrokeWidth display is incorrect at 0.
  • When setting a color to the stroke on a rectangle object and setting the width to 0, it will display a stroke with the width of 1 around the object in the director. If you set the stroke color to transparent, there is an annoying dotted outline around the rectangular object. Would be nice for it to be able to display no stroke and no dotted outline.

Lemme know what you think. Much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

• I had already added this to my list but not sure how feasible it is but I’ll take a look.

• Have you tried rotating the object using right-click and then move the mouse?

• Yes I’ve fixed that already and will send you another update.  The change to not lock the images caused this to fail.
  • I’ll add this to my list.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply, glad to have some stuff added to the list!

I just tried rotating the object using right mouse and it does the same thing if I go to corner grab after the fact. Maybe to be a bit clearer with the issue, the object moves all over the place as I try to do a simple corner grab and move down or up. Same goes for editing the width when its rotated. It moves to the right and left whereas it should stay in the same position and only move up or down. I can give you an example image if need be.

Thanks! Can’t wait for the stroke width and maybe blend mode fix (:

I just tried it and I can’t seem to replicate the rotation issue.

I rotated an object, then resized it with the grab handle and it just got bigger/smaller as expected.

Sending an image might help.

Ah… it still does get bigger and smaller. Its the mannor in which it does so. Here is a video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ptriy7hcxetrrx/LDRotBug.mp4

The first object is rotated 270 degrees. The second object is rotated 180 degrees. Notice how the 270 rotated object is moving all over the place when I move the handle whereas the 180 rotated objected is pinned in the upper left hand corner as expected.

Thanks!

That is strange, I wonder if it relates to the anchor points, have you modified them from 0.5?

In export settings and on the object they are set to 0.5.

Hi,

I’m pleased you’re enjoying using Level Director and your feedback and ideas are much appreciated, that’s the only way it will get better.

With regards to your 3 feature requests, they are all on my to-do list;

1. Asset Editing while the director is open.
  • ​​I implemented this today and will send you a build to test.
  1. Similar Multi-Object Selection Properties
  • This has been on my list for a while but not sure if it will make this version due to the current design.  I’m working on a cross platform version which should have this built-in though.
  1. Grid Snap Object Size
  • I will start work this week on implementing this feature.

Thanks!

Freakin spectacular!!.. I will be anxiously awaiting your update! (:  

I’ve emailed you a dev build containing feature requests 1 and 3 implemented.

Thanks for the extremely fast update. It really is much appreciated and has saved me much time.

I’d like to just go ahead while I have this thread going to add 4 more things I have found that would be very useful to have fixed. You have helped me so much so far so I understand if these are getting a bit too needy.

• Right now it is kind of a guessing game as to what looks good or not in the editor for setting differrent objects with different blendmodes.
  • If an object is rotated by any amount other than 0 and 180, editing that object with the corner grab technique is almost impossible to use. It seems to be that the values its sending for width and height are backwards.
  • This seems like a new bug, but it results with an out of memory error. I can post the entire error if need be.
  • When setting a color to the stroke on a rectangle object and setting the width to 0, it will display a stroke with the width of 1 around the object in the director. If you set the stroke color to transparent, there is an annoying dotted outline around the rectangular object. Would be nice for it to be able to display no stroke and no dotted outline.

Lemme know what you think. Much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

• I had already added this to my list but not sure how feasible it is but I’ll take a look.

• Have you tried rotating the object using right-click and then move the mouse?

• Yes I’ve fixed that already and will send you another update.  The change to not lock the images caused this to fail.
  • I’ll add this to my list.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply, glad to have some stuff added to the list!

I just tried rotating the object using right mouse and it does the same thing if I go to corner grab after the fact. Maybe to be a bit clearer with the issue, the object moves all over the place as I try to do a simple corner grab and move down or up. Same goes for editing the width when its rotated. It moves to the right and left whereas it should stay in the same position and only move up or down. I can give you an example image if need be.

Thanks! Can’t wait for the stroke width and maybe blend mode fix (:

I just tried it and I can’t seem to replicate the rotation issue.

I rotated an object, then resized it with the grab handle and it just got bigger/smaller as expected.

Sending an image might help.

Ah… it still does get bigger and smaller. Its the mannor in which it does so. Here is a video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ptriy7hcxetrrx/LDRotBug.mp4

The first object is rotated 270 degrees. The second object is rotated 180 degrees. Notice how the 270 rotated object is moving all over the place when I move the handle whereas the 180 rotated objected is pinned in the upper left hand corner as expected.

Thanks!

That is strange, I wonder if it relates to the anchor points, have you modified them from 0.5?