Moved my source tree to a new drive, now CPM causes System Log popups and repathing is a pain

I recently had to move all my source code to a new drive. This seems to have seriously messed up CPM. All the dynamic asset links are broken. I tried to point each project to the folder I moved the content to and I ended up with 2 copies of each asset. Then all the assets that where referenced in from my library projects all have to get repathed once at a time.

Other than moving my files back is there an easy way to fix this mess?

I had hoped I could just point the base directory at the new location and it would be all fine. [import]uid: 110373 topic_id: 23315 reply_id: 323315[/import]

Hmmm… I haven’t ever done that (moved projects to a different drive) so I’ve never seen that problem, but I can understand why it’s happening.

When you use a dynamic asset in a project it knows that asset by an absolute path, not a relative path. So if that path changes (for example, moving the asset file to a new folder or new hard drive) that path in the database will be wrong.

(On the other hand, if you only moved the project to a different drive and both drives were still hooked up, everything should still work.)

Off the top of my head I can’t think of a great way to handle the problem (in future versions of CPM) - if an asset can’t be found maybe show a list of assets with the same name and allow you to say, “Yes, that’s the one”? Which means you’d have to “repath” an asset once, but after doing that for one project CPM would “know” about those assets and repathing the ones in other projects could be done more quickly.

I’ll move a project to another drive and try to experience what you have to see if that helps me figure it out.

Sorry for the problem and if anyone has an idea for this, don’t hold back.

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 23315 reply_id: 93356[/import]

Is there a way to turn off dynamic assets in a project? or is there a config file that holds all the folders and project info that’s plain text (xml, ect…) that I could just text replace to fix the paths. [import]uid: 110373 topic_id: 23315 reply_id: 93380[/import]

Right-click a project to edit it and then in the edit window uncheck the Auto Add box. That should turn it off for that project.

The project info is in a SQLite database file called cpm.rsd – you can see where it is if you choose Show Utility Folder from the CPM Tools menu. Be careful messing with stuff in there, but if you’re “database savvy” you should be able to change things in there with no problem. Of course, making a backup first is advisable. :slight_smile:

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 23315 reply_id: 93423[/import]