Google recently started to require having a map key to access the Google maps API. According to the docs, this is how it should look in config.lua:
license = { google = { key = "[my google iap key]", mapsKey = "[my google maps key]", } }
“key” is for Google IAP and “mapsKey” is for the maps. However, I get an error message when running the app on Android. This is what Google support says:
It looks like you are having issues adding the API key to the JavaScript Map request, so it does not authenticate under your project. If you are not able to add an API key in your Map request, or you have an invalid character in your request (like a space or when URL encoded, it could be a plus sign (+), or any special character), or you accidentally added an extra character or deleted a portion of the key, you will have an error for invalid key. The error will result to a grey map with “Oops! ----” message.
Is there a way for you to log the full URL request that your application is sending?
Google support has confirmed the validity of my key and I have double checked that the key is entered correctly in config.lua. My questions:
I have checked the NativeDisplayObjects sample app and it is the same thing there. Does it for for anyone else?
How could I see the url that is sent from my device to google maps? I cannot find it in the logfile of the device…
I looked at the source and we are certainly using “mapsKey” in config.lua in the application.license.google table.
If you’re uncomfortable sharing your api key here, you can put together a simple sample project that adds a native.newMapView() to a simple app with your build.settings and config.lua and package that up and a zip file and email it to support@coronalabs.com and we can take a look at it.
@divergent I have never used the maps API until last night. All I did was create an account, add my credit card and added the maps key to the NativeDisplayObjects sample. Clicking on the maps button in that app brings up the map. As you can see in the graph I then tested it at 7, 8 and 9pm EST. I wanted to see if I can fix the other problem I found (but I couldn’t).
@agramonte: what Android version did you test this on? Any issues regarding credit card, billing etc would come after making a valid request but I am not even there yet…
An Android 9 phone. On this one, it throws an error after the map loads with my manual lat long. I think the map is trying to get the current location but doesn’t have permission and the app doesn’t prompt.
An Android 7.1.1 tablet. On this one, it throws a different error, but again it is after the map loads.
What version are you using? I can dig up some of my older phones. I don’t have a 8.x device.
Edit: I think this is a rabbit hole you are going into with no end in sight. Even after you get past your current problem, I notice other problems that I am fairly sure are code related.
@agramonte: I was using version 8.0 when testing. If you want, I could send you the sample app that I sent to Corona support. You could then insert your google maps key instead of mine and see if that works or at least if you get the same error as I do. Let me know, and I can then send it as a private message to you here in your Corona account.
I couldn’t get your code to work but I don’t really understand it. I think you didn’t send me all of it and if this is the same thing you sent to Corona they won’t be able to help you.
local maptest = require("sampleUI.maptest") -- I am missing this file. Maptest is null.
then further down you call this:
maptest.create() -- this is null and you are calling this function from that file I don't have.
I erased everything you had except the first line and put my key in the config:
The zip file submitted to support was complete. Once I added my license key, I was able to build with your mapsKey and the native.newMapView() came up and complained about an issue. I replaced the key with a key I use in a maps based app (I’m doing a Google JavaScript map in a webView because I’m overlaying weather radar on top), rebuilt and re-run your app and I got a map centered on where I live with no error.
So based on my results and Agramonte’s results, this seems to be related to your key and not native.newMapView()
@agramonte: there must be some kind of misunderstanding. The zip file I sent to Corona was exactly the same I sent to you but with my mapsKey removed. The file maptest.lue is in the folder SampleUI.
@Rob: what was the issue that the Map view complained about? When I run it, I get no map at all. What Android version were you using? I don’t get this…
@Rob: could you please try one more time with the zip file I sent (with my map key)? I have removed all restrictions from it in the Google dashboard, just curious if that changes anything for you.
UPDATE: I just found this in the Android logfile:
01-05 20:46:38.290 31943 31943 I chromium: [INFO:CONSOLE(50)] "Google Maps JavaScript API error: RefererNotAllowedMapError
12-30 20:46:38.290 31943 31943 I chromium: Your site URL to be authorized: __file_url__//data/user/0/[my package name]/cache/.system/resources/corona_map_view2.html", source: https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?v=3.9&sensor=false&key=[my map key] (50)
On the credentials page of the Google Cloud Platform, you can apply restrictions. I had my restrictions set to “Android apps”, but I now understand that a Corona app is not an “Android app” in this sense since it uses a web view for displaying the map. Therefore, I must instead apply restrictions for “HTTP referrers (website)”.
Since your key worked in my app you either have no restrictions on your key, or you have entered a “HTTP referrers (website)” restriction. Can you please confirm that? If so, is the URL that you entered really " __file_url__//data/user/0/[my package name]/cache/.system/resources/corona_map_view2.html"?
One last question: what did you enter under “HTTP referrers (website)”? Was it " __file_url__//data/user/0/[my package name]/cache/.system/resources/corona_map_view2.html" like it said in the logfile I quoted or was on some other format?
If so, your key is “unrestricted” and could potentially be used by someone else. At least according to the instructions at the google cloud platform website where the keys are handled. Since Corona apps do not have a url request per se even though the request comes from a web view, I will have to let google support help me on what url to enter “HTTP referrers (website)”.
@Rob & agramonte: thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!