New Android adapted icons zoomed-in

I’m having trouble trying to implement the new adapted icons for Android. Both foreground and background images are appearing zoomed in on device.
I double checked the sizes and even tried copy-pasting the template icons provided on new projects, but they’re also giving the problem.
I’m using the latest daily build
Anyone?

Android Studio has built in tool to test adaptive icons. As well as variety online tools.
Icons may seem zoomed in, because of cropping. Usually background image can be discarded and only circular center part of foreground would remain with various cropping settings. Please, check our guide and links in it: https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/androidResources/index.html

Ok, I see. Thanks for the response. I saw in the guide: “again, we recommend the simple process of simply copying the right sized files over top of the AndroidResources/res folder that we generate and use a simple color background when possible” I did just that. Do you expect everyone to have their icons zoomed or having to work with Android Studio? Am I missing something? Basically all game icons don’t fit with this background/foreground idea Google had. I did an Unity build recently where I simply ommited the background file and it worked fine. Luis

Or template has background as a solid color. If you position your icon so it occupies only about central 3/4 circle of the template size and rest is alpha you should be fine. Many people had stunning results with adaptive icons. I’m not sure I can provide much more advice. Corona tried to give you full flexibility new android icons have. There are tons of resources on how to make them look great.

You might want to read this forum thread too:  https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/75975-problem-with-new-icon-system/

It has a real example from one of my games showing where Adaptive Icons can do very bad things to icons designed for games. When you see this, it will help you understand why you need some padding around your core art.

You simply don’t know what shaped mask the device maker is going to provide. You don’t know how much you’re going to get zoomed. You can’t predict what kind of animation they may want to add. Google’s guide lines are quite helpful and if you look at many of the modern icons that come with Android devices they are on solid backgrounds.

Rob

I ended up using Android Studio. They have an interface where you can adjust the zoom.

Android Studio has built in tool to test adaptive icons. As well as variety online tools.
Icons may seem zoomed in, because of cropping. Usually background image can be discarded and only circular center part of foreground would remain with various cropping settings. Please, check our guide and links in it: https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/androidResources/index.html

Ok, I see. Thanks for the response. I saw in the guide: “again, we recommend the simple process of simply copying the right sized files over top of the AndroidResources/res folder that we generate and use a simple color background when possible” I did just that. Do you expect everyone to have their icons zoomed or having to work with Android Studio? Am I missing something? Basically all game icons don’t fit with this background/foreground idea Google had. I did an Unity build recently where I simply ommited the background file and it worked fine. Luis

Or template has background as a solid color. If you position your icon so it occupies only about central 3/4 circle of the template size and rest is alpha you should be fine. Many people had stunning results with adaptive icons. I’m not sure I can provide much more advice. Corona tried to give you full flexibility new android icons have. There are tons of resources on how to make them look great.

You might want to read this forum thread too:  https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/75975-problem-with-new-icon-system/

It has a real example from one of my games showing where Adaptive Icons can do very bad things to icons designed for games. When you see this, it will help you understand why you need some padding around your core art.

You simply don’t know what shaped mask the device maker is going to provide. You don’t know how much you’re going to get zoomed. You can’t predict what kind of animation they may want to add. Google’s guide lines are quite helpful and if you look at many of the modern icons that come with Android devices they are on solid backgrounds.

Rob

I ended up using Android Studio. They have an interface where you can adjust the zoom.