*** New Android Api level 28 requirement from Google

I just release a new version of a game in Google Play and Google show me this warning:

Your app currently targets API level 27 and must target at least API level 28 to ** ensure it is built on the latest APIs optimised for security and performance.**

From August 2019, new apps must target at least Android 9.0 (API level 28).

From November 2019, app updates must target Android 9.0 (API level 28).

I’m using the buid of Corona 2019.3480 and there are only two new releases ( 3486 and 3487)

This is next for our team to work on. We are chasing bugs in 64-bit builds and Android 9 is being worked on while we finish up the 64-bit support.

Thanks a lot Rob!

BTW: The 3498 build of 64-bit (still hidden from the public) but links available in the Android 64-bit forum or on Slack’s #Android64 channel supports SDK 28/Pie.

Rob

Hi,

is there a relation between 64 Bit Issue and API Level 28

or are they totally separate?

i downloaded latest version of corona, and latest version of JDK

jdk-12.0.2_windows-x64_bin

Corona-2019.3512.msi

and i’m unable to build an apk on windows

the console says:

Android build failed (1) …

then something about file not found

as if it is unable to find Java

My Clients will shoot me soon … i’m in the process of uploading their Apps which i got paid for, and i’m unable to do so :slight_smile:

It’s a hard question to answer. Technically API Level 28 is Android 9/Pie support. It is its own thing. Having 32-bit and 64-bit support to your apps is it’s own thing. They are not related from a Google standpoint.

From a Corona stand point, we have one build pipeline. 2019.3490 is the last build before we started introducing 64-bit. We did not add Android API 28 support before we started 64-bit support. We cannot retroactively go back and add features. We added Android API 28 support sometime around the first public version of Android with 64-bit support (around 2019.3505 or so). From that perspective they are tied together. To get Android 28 support you will need to use the latest daily build. 

It’s most helpful if you post your entire console log for us to see. But please use a service like pastebin.com for the long console log. 

Finally, I’m going to move this thread to the Android 64-bit testing forum, where our engineers are watching threads that come up.

Rob

This is the concise log

https://pastebin.com/3A6N35yw

Full Log:

https://pastebin.com/9Acu0DXm

were the logs helpful in anyway  :smiley:

are there any new updates

i know it takes time to publish a new package from yourside … but corona is my only income those days … so if i’m unable to upload new apks to playstore i’m dead

and i’m too old to learn something new … I’ve done so many things with corona so far … business apps, social app, Ads App, games, i have integrated with everything … database, webservices, payment gateways, GPS, Camera, you name it … so if i want to do the same with another platform it will take me 6 years … and using corona it takes me a month to create a huge app so please your urgent help is appreciated

That’s My Laptop :slight_smile:

Regards,

Tariq

Just out of curiosity, how old is your signing key?

Also, can you move your project from your D: drive to your C: drive and try building it there?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I tried both old and new signing keys (old means created with Java 10 and new Created with Java 12)… both worked only after moving the folder to drive C: in a folder with full permissions…

it took too much time and the output was 2 files .apk and .aab

and playstore accepted it

i always used drive D:\ to keep and build my files …

but at least its  working fine now

thanks man … you saved my day.

You might want to try today’s daily build. We made more fixes for Windows.

Rob

Thanks Rob

i just downloaded and tested this build after your message

it is working fine now … but still i noticed the below differences:

• building the app takes a long time (195 seconds) compared to 30 seconds before that
  • 2 files are generated (.apk and .aab)
  • larger file size (18 MB compared to 10MB)

but other than that i didn’t face any problems for this particular app

i will try to build my other apps that deal with webservices, gps, camera … etc.

Regards,

Tariq

The first time you build with Android 64 bit, it has to download quite a bit of new Android libraries and such. Subsequent builds should be as fast as your used to, if not perhaps a little faster.

Yes, two files are generated: The .apk file you’re used to and an “Android App Bundle”. This is Google’s new preferred way to upload files. If you upload the .abb file, Google can optimize what’s delivered basically addressing your third point. To support a wide range of Android devices, versions or slices for both 32-bit Android and 64-bit Android must now be included in the .apk file. This is why it’s larger. By uploading the .abb file, Google can make even smaller APK files than a straight up .apk file will.

You should upload the .abb file but in doing so, you will have to let Google manage the signing. It will guide you through this change. It’s a new world we are entering into. 

Rob

I have built an app usind the daily release (13/8), and I went throw the instructions in this post, and I had few problems:
First, the name of the APK file and the AAB file is “App” for some reason (it’s ignores my application name)
and second and more important, If I install the app on a phone it crash as soon as it gets open, even the splashscreen not shows up…

what to do?

it happens when I import the plugins:

plugin.appodeal

plugin.firebaseDatabase

plugin.admob

@tsoakuo

Please refer to build numbers using the 2019.3515 style format. Without us having to do some research, we don’t know what 13/8 means.

Next, we really need to see your build.settings file. Are you using the simulator to build or are you using Corona Native and Android Studio to build the app? If you’re using the simulator, sharing a screen shot of your build screen just before you click on build button. Please do not block any fields.

Finally, if it’s crashing on the device, you will need plug it in to USB and capture the console log using “adb logcat” and share those results with us.

For the log, please use a service like pastebin.com so the post size isn’t huge to read.

Rob

i noticed that the libraries are downloaded to this folder C:\Users%username%.gradle

it is about 750 Mbs

when i copied this folder somewhere else (just doing my own tests) windows gave a message that some files have a long path (longer than 255 characters which is the maximum allowed in windows) so i thought i have to report it … don’t think it means anything … just for the record…

Hey, sorry for that!
Well, I develop my app using Corona SDK version 2018.3326, my app worked propely on the simulator and also when I’ve built it for a real android device (APK using a key that was generated with Java 12) it work well (very well), I was about to upload it to Google Play Store when I got an error saying that my app must suport API 28 and higher, so I search this error in Google and I got to this post in Corona website - from here I realized that I need to have a newer version of corona (2019.3515) - and that what I did, but when I built my app using the new version and passed it to my mobile phone, my app crash immediately… I did some tests and I realized that it crash when I add my admob and firebase plugins to my built.settings file

Thank you very much!
Adam :)  

Attachments:

• built.settings file:

https://pastebin.com/reS2yaUa

• Console log:

https://pastebin.com/ZdNf6LfQ

• Built screenshot:

http://www.up2me.co.il/v.php?file=22137925.png

@tsoakuo, you need to make a few adjustments.

For Admob, please read:  https://coronalabs.com/blog/2019/07/22/important-admob-and-other-ad-plugin-changes/

For a more detailed log, please read the pinned post: https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/75790-new-build-20193512-handling-bugs-with-android-x64-and-target-sdk-28/

and execute the command for your operating system that increases the amount of information logged and then re-run your test.

Finally if you’re crashing on device, you need to capture your console log on your device using “adb logcat”.

Rob