Newbie - Solar2D FAQ?

I’ve used Corona years ago to publish a very simple kid’s app. I just recently recompiled it with Xcode 11.4 and whatever the latest Corona daily build is. I was able to get it submitted to the AppStore and I’m waiting for the review process to complete.

Now that Corona is Solar2D, is there a FAQ somewhere to answer basic newbie questions?
I haven’t developed in years and thinking of getting back into it for another simple game.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I think a FAQ document somewhere would be great.

1. On a Mac, can you install Corona and Solar2D at the same time or do I need to remove Corona before installing Solar2D?
  2. What is an “offline build”?
  3. Is Solar2D ready to be used to submit apps to the AppStore?
  4. What are “live builds” and what platforms does it run under? It seems to be using a real device for testing instead of the simulator. There’s mention of a Corona Live Server. Is there a Solar2D Live Server? I’m just lost on this feature. Is there a tutorial somewhere with a “Hello, World” kind of app to test out the setup?
    Found this from 2016: https://coronalabs.com/blog/2016/12/02/sneak-peek-corona-live-builds/?utm\_source=rss&utm\_medium=rss&utm\_campaign=rss
  5. Is Xcode 11.5 supported? (I think I know the answer to this one from a previous post - as of the date of this post, the answer is No - stick with 11.4)

Corona has served me well over the years and I’d like to get into Solar2D but coming in cold is a challenge.

1 Like
  1. You can stack as many versions as you want in your mac’s applications directory like this

2. Corona used to do part of the build on their servers so that they could enforce licensing. Now builds are faster and don’t need a server to build a part of the app

3. Yes. I already did a few updates on my apps

4. It’s a local host server on your computer that your phone connects to. Basically just check “live builds” at build and then whenever you save a file, the phone app will refresh with the changes

5. Idk. I’m using it and I think it’s working. I haven’t tried a production build yet though

You’ll do great man! Nice to see people coming back to a great framework like Corona :smiley:

1 Like

https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/liveBuild/index.html

This is probably one of the BEST features of Solar2d. There’s nothing really special that you have to do differently other than check the Live Build box when you build your app and install to a device(s) as usual. Make a change in your code and boom, the app running on the device is instantly restarted with those changes without having to go through the whole build/deploy process all over again. It’s great for testing small changes and tweaks really quickly.

2 Likes