Notifications

Hi -

I notice the guide says that notifications aren’t supported in OS X desktop - is that something likely to be addressed in the future?

Tom

This isn’t something people have been asking for. You can file a feature request at http://feedback.coronalabs.com and get it voted up or convince a plugin developer to make a plugin for it.

Rob

Thanks Rob.  I’ll maybe take a look myself.  I’ve been exploring whether Corona would be suitable for our business app (I think it’s amazing for games and fun stuff) … and it’s looking good for it, just a few things I think and this was one of them.

Are you looking for remote or local notifications?  We don’t currently do either, just trying to get some color on the requirement.

Hi Perry

Thanks very much for following up on this.  It’s remote notifications that we’d need - a way to put a red badge on the app icon in the dock when there are new messages to read (and ideally to be able to growl the notifications too).

Tom

Hi Rob, Perry -

This has become an important thing for us, Rob you mentioned “you could convince a plugin developer to make a plugin for it” - do you know someone who would be good for that?  Happy to pay

Tom

from a plugin developer perspective, a delegate system need to implemented similar to iOS to enable any sort of notification interaction. 

Thanks Scott.  Does this mean that something needs to be done in the Corona core code for this to work then?  Or could a plugin developer do this independently?  (Are you one?!)

Something would need to be done at corona core. I have one or two plugin on the store.

Hi Rob / Perry

Any thoughts on this?  Desktop notification is the one thing that we need that’s blocking us from adopting Corona for our business app.  Be great if we could sort it out.  As I say, happy to contribute in any way we can…

Tom

This isn’t something people have been asking for. You can file a feature request at http://feedback.coronalabs.com and get it voted up or convince a plugin developer to make a plugin for it.

Rob

Thanks Rob.  I’ll maybe take a look myself.  I’ve been exploring whether Corona would be suitable for our business app (I think it’s amazing for games and fun stuff) … and it’s looking good for it, just a few things I think and this was one of them.

Are you looking for remote or local notifications?  We don’t currently do either, just trying to get some color on the requirement.

Hi Perry

Thanks very much for following up on this.  It’s remote notifications that we’d need - a way to put a red badge on the app icon in the dock when there are new messages to read (and ideally to be able to growl the notifications too).

Tom

Hi Rob, Perry -

This has become an important thing for us, Rob you mentioned “you could convince a plugin developer to make a plugin for it” - do you know someone who would be good for that?  Happy to pay

Tom

from a plugin developer perspective, a delegate system need to implemented similar to iOS to enable any sort of notification interaction. 

Thanks Scott.  Does this mean that something needs to be done in the Corona core code for this to work then?  Or could a plugin developer do this independently?  (Are you one?!)

Something would need to be done at corona core. I have one or two plugin on the store.

Hi Rob / Perry

Any thoughts on this?  Desktop notification is the one thing that we need that’s blocking us from adopting Corona for our business app.  Be great if we could sort it out.  As I say, happy to contribute in any way we can…

Tom