One CoronaViewer install per device

Has anyone gotten two or more CoronaViewer builds (two different projects) running on one device? I’ve been testing on Android and the first install runs like a charm, but when I try to run the second after install, my Nexus 4 throws a java.lang error and quits the app. If I uninstall the first and then run the second (and only) CoronaViewer build, it works fine. 

I assume this is architecture related but if anyone has been able to get two running, or figured out a nice method to sandbox the installed builds, I’d be much obliged for the tip. Thanks muchly!

The reason is because the plugin has a dropbox id associated with it.  Even if you build a second apk, they’re still using the same dropbox id which is why it doesn’t work.

** FORGOT A STEP TRY AGAIN IF THIS FAILED FOR YOU**

@Panc,

I have a similar need (multiple test apps on one device).  I’m trying this right now.

• Single Corona Viewer Installed on device.
  • Multiple drop box accounts (one per test app).  I use different ones for different clients so I can give them the password.
    • On my computer, each of these drop box accounts uses a different folder on the harddrive.

When I want to hook Corona Viewer ( on the device ) to a new account I do the following:

• Make sure Corona Viewer is quit.
  • Open DropBox.com in browser and log out 
  • On Android Device, open 'Settings->Apps’
    • ​Select Corona Viewer and clear caches
  • Open Corona Viewer
  • Sign in using credentials for account I want to hook up to.
  • Run.

What this gives me:

• Each of my clients has CoronaViewer on their Android device hooked to a separate drop box account so they can’t see each-other’s apps.
  • I can switch between accounts at will (have to wait for sync) and work on that app.

I hope this makes sense.

One more tidbit.  If you want multiple dropbox accounts and if you use gmail, the easiest way to do that is to create new accounts using your primary e-mail account + something.  

Ex:

Account 1: myemail+client1@gmail.com

Account 2: myemail+client2@gmail.com

each of these will get routed (the emails) to myemail@gmail.com.

This is what I was missing! I had all the other steps but this. Thanks!

Thanks again for the tip above Ed, much appreciated. To expand on this, though, how do you handle multiple/varied build.settings/config.lua files and variables? Do you just have a if/then statement in your config.lua set to listen to a package name or a remote variable, or do you include everything from each project in your CoronaViewer build.settings and config.lua files? Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

@Alex,

I haven’t worked out a good system for that yet, but for the most part I only have to deal with Landscape vs Portrait issues (as specified in build.settings).  Almost all my projects use the same base config.lua settings (i.e. I don’t customize them till the end).

Having said that, I have two builds of the APK one in landscape and one in portrait.  If I’m using one and need the other, I simply uninstall and install the right one using ADB.

-Ed

I figured that was the case, but you know what they say about assuming :wink:

The reason is because the plugin has a dropbox id associated with it.  Even if you build a second apk, they’re still using the same dropbox id which is why it doesn’t work.

** FORGOT A STEP TRY AGAIN IF THIS FAILED FOR YOU**

@Panc,

I have a similar need (multiple test apps on one device).  I’m trying this right now.

• Single Corona Viewer Installed on device.
  • Multiple drop box accounts (one per test app).  I use different ones for different clients so I can give them the password.
    • On my computer, each of these drop box accounts uses a different folder on the harddrive.

When I want to hook Corona Viewer ( on the device ) to a new account I do the following:

• Make sure Corona Viewer is quit.
  • Open DropBox.com in browser and log out 
  • Open Corona Viewer
  • Sign in using credentials for account I want to hook up to.
  • Run.

What this gives me:

• Each of my clients has CoronaViewer on their Android device hooked to a separate drop box account so they can’t see each-other’s apps.
  • I can switch between accounts at will (have to wait for sync) and work on that app.

I hope this makes sense.

One more tidbit.  If you want multiple dropbox accounts and if you use gmail, the easiest way to do that is to create new accounts using your primary e-mail account + something.  

Ex:

Account 1: myemail+client1@gmail.com

Account 2: myemail+client2@gmail.com

each of these will get routed (the emails) to myemail@gmail.com.

This is what I was missing! I had all the other steps but this. Thanks!

Thanks again for the tip above Ed, much appreciated. To expand on this, though, how do you handle multiple/varied build.settings/config.lua files and variables? Do you just have a if/then statement in your config.lua set to listen to a package name or a remote variable, or do you include everything from each project in your CoronaViewer build.settings and config.lua files? Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

@Alex,

I haven’t worked out a good system for that yet, but for the most part I only have to deal with Landscape vs Portrait issues (as specified in build.settings).  Almost all my projects use the same base config.lua settings (i.e. I don’t customize them till the end).

Having said that, I have two builds of the APK one in landscape and one in portrait.  If I’m using one and need the other, I simply uninstall and install the right one using ADB.

-Ed

I figured that was the case, but you know what they say about assuming :wink:

Hi

It looks like CoronaViewer has been silently updated and is now supporting multiple projects.

It is not a solution for the multiple client testing workflow that Ed explained here but it helps a lot on self-based development with a single dropbox account (tested only on iOS).

Give a look here https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/54652-swap-a-2nd-application-in-for-use-with-coronaviewer-best-way-to-do-this/

Ciao

G.

Yup! You can put multiple apps in one dropbox and select which one you’d like!

Hi

It looks like CoronaViewer has been silently updated and is now supporting multiple projects.

It is not a solution for the multiple client testing workflow that Ed explained here but it helps a lot on self-based development with a single dropbox account (tested only on iOS).

Give a look here https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/54652-swap-a-2nd-application-in-for-use-with-coronaviewer-best-way-to-do-this/

Ciao

G.

Yup! You can put multiple apps in one dropbox and select which one you’d like!