Parallax and static images files

This is probably a dumb question! Can I use a png file as a parallax background instead of a layer in the tiled file? Kinda like the game bounce on does it.

[import]uid: 9035 topic_id: 8522 reply_id: 308522[/import]

Not a dumb question at all!

You have a couple of options, the easiest is to create your image and then create a TileSet in Tiled that has its tilewidth and height set to the size of the image, you will be limited to the max size of a Tile which I believe is 999 * 999 but you couldn’t have an image much bigger than this in Corona anyway. You could split up your big image into lots of “smaller” giant tiles to work. Then place them all on a layer just like regular tiles and give that layer a slow moving parallaxFactor and you should be good to go.

You could also do a similar thing in code by creating a series of large images, adding them to your layer with: tileLayer:addObject( image ) and then positioning them.

As this sort of functionality has been requested by a few people and is clearly something that could be used in a lot of games I hope to add some kind of helper functionality or atleast a tutorial at somepoint for it.
[import]uid: 5833 topic_id: 8522 reply_id: 30578[/import]

I’m trying the workarounds for Parallax scrolling but I’m running into some issues.

I’ve tried to create large tiles and creating parallax layers in this fashion, but I get thrown Runtime errors in lime-utils, and if I make the tiles size small enough to remove errors, I still encounter the parallax scrolling issue.

I’m having some trouble implementing the second suggestion regarding the tileLayer option. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this working? Thanks! [import]uid: 135394 topic_id: 8522 reply_id: 114124[/import]