[Particle Candy] Can a normal physics body be affected by FX field?

I just purchased Particle Candy yesterday and its been awesome so far. Thanks for your hard work!

Have a question though. If I wanted to do something similar to Angry Birds: Space. Where I wanted one of my normal physics bodies to be affect by a PC FX field. Is that possible? Is there a way to make one of my bodies a particle object by extension or something?

Basically, just like angry birds, the user gives the object a direction and speed and “let’s go” and the object travels all based on physics, velocity and gravity. I’d like it to be affected by the attraction and rejection of FX fields as it moves.

Thanks! [import]uid: 79387 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 333633[/import]

It is, but Particle Candy is very much more for producing visual effects rather than controlling the subject matter objects in your game.

My learning on the matter has shown me that there are three basic routes:

• Learn all about the physics mathematics of orbits (hard)
  • Convince something like particle candy or the physics engine to allow objects to enter an orbital path (very hard)
  • Calculate all the physics yourself and handle orbits at specific events (fairly difficult but not impossible)
  • Cheat (easy)

There are two cheats that I’ve used:

• When an object hits an circular sensor around a “planet” use applyForce to set it’s orbit and continue to do so on a timer (fiddly)
  • Attach a distance or pivot joint between the “planet” and the object when it hits the circular sensor (easy)

In my opinion it’s worth giving the applyForce route a try because the object entering orbit will do it more smoothly - using a joint will make it jerk into orbit.

It will take a lot of trial and error but it is a damn good learning experience. Make a basic application first and try out different things.

Remember to post any successful code in the code exchange! [import]uid: 8271 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133705[/import]

Yup, and I was planning on writing it all myself. But then when I saw the FX stuff in PC. Figured I’d ask just to be sure. Still curious to hear what the x-pressive.com dev thinks. Since there is support for physics based particles, it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to extend it to work with an individual body.
[import]uid: 79387 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133710[/import]

Hey, @aabonesgamer, you might want to email x-pressive support with the URL to this Forum post. They are really nice and responsive, but unless you contact them directly, they may not see your post/question here. I mean, I think it’s great to post a question like this on Forum so that it becomes general knowledge, but at the same time, if you want their awareness of and response to this post, it’s also good to notify x-pressive directly.

Just my two cents.

Naomi [import]uid: 67217 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133714[/import]

I didn’t have time earlier, but just to clarify: I’ve looked through the code and Particle Candy DOES affect physics particles with FX fields. [import]uid: 8271 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133742[/import]

It is, but Particle Candy is very much more for producing visual effects rather than controlling the subject matter objects in your game.

My learning on the matter has shown me that there are three basic routes:

• Learn all about the physics mathematics of orbits (hard)
  • Convince something like particle candy or the physics engine to allow objects to enter an orbital path (very hard)
  • Calculate all the physics yourself and handle orbits at specific events (fairly difficult but not impossible)
  • Cheat (easy)

There are two cheats that I’ve used:

• When an object hits an circular sensor around a “planet” use applyForce to set it’s orbit and continue to do so on a timer (fiddly)
  • Attach a distance or pivot joint between the “planet” and the object when it hits the circular sensor (easy)

In my opinion it’s worth giving the applyForce route a try because the object entering orbit will do it more smoothly - using a joint will make it jerk into orbit.

It will take a lot of trial and error but it is a damn good learning experience. Make a basic application first and try out different things.

Remember to post any successful code in the code exchange! [import]uid: 8271 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133705[/import]

Yup, and I was planning on writing it all myself. But then when I saw the FX stuff in PC. Figured I’d ask just to be sure. Still curious to hear what the x-pressive.com dev thinks. Since there is support for physics based particles, it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to extend it to work with an individual body.
[import]uid: 79387 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133710[/import]

Hey, @aabonesgamer, you might want to email x-pressive support with the URL to this Forum post. They are really nice and responsive, but unless you contact them directly, they may not see your post/question here. I mean, I think it’s great to post a question like this on Forum so that it becomes general knowledge, but at the same time, if you want their awareness of and response to this post, it’s also good to notify x-pressive directly.

Just my two cents.

Naomi [import]uid: 67217 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133714[/import]

I didn’t have time earlier, but just to clarify: I’ve looked through the code and Particle Candy DOES affect physics particles with FX fields. [import]uid: 8271 topic_id: 33633 reply_id: 133742[/import]