Particle Candy Particle system similar to CCParticleSun

I’m migrating from cocos2d to corona SDK.
I am using CCParticleSun particle system emitter but I’m having hard time replicating it with Particle candy.

Do you have suggestions to create a similar particle system on Particle Candy?

[import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 333683[/import]

Hello,
I’m not familiar with how CCParticleSun looks. Is it just one emitter, or a combination of several emitters, each one adding to a layered effect?

I haven’t used it personally, but I bookmarked an interesting code share project in Corona. It’s a GUI-based Particle Candy utility, allowing you to tweak and edit the emitter directly on the screen instead of tinkering with code values over and over until you get the correct effect.

http://developer.coronalabs.com/code/particle-candy-effects-creator

Maybe this can help you figure out a reasonable clone of the CC emitter.
Brent [import]uid: 200026 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 133984[/import]

Thanks for the link. That’s a useful tool.
many of the cocos2d particle systems have the kind of blending that I can’t figure out how to do on particle candy.

similar to CCParticleSun is CCParticleFire example image is here:
http://parallelsix.com/development/?p=6

I am using the
Properties.blendMode = “add”
But that does not seem to do the trick, unless there isn’t much motion going on.

I want to create a trail for an object going across the screen. on cocos2d it worked like a charm. On Partcile Candy I’m afraid I might need to use different kind of particles to make this work.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
Ideas? [import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134175[/import]

many of the cocos2d particle systems have the kind of blending that I can’t figure out how to do on particle candy.

I am using the
But that does not seem to do the trick, unless there isn’t much motion going on.

I want to create a trail for an object going across the screen. on cocos2d it worked like a charm. On Partcile Candy I’m afraid I might need to use different kind of particles to make this work.

Ideas? [import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134176[/import]

Did you try the Comet example in Particle Candy? It might give you the effect you want. [import]uid: 40033 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134184[/import]

Hi again @zeusartemisoy,
The image you link from Cocos2D is definitely using “additive” blending, thus the super-bright white center (because the particles are add-blending atop each other toward the center). It’s strange that P.C. isn’t producing the same effect, because Corona definitely supports additive blending, and P.C. lets you set it in the method you are using.

Did you tinker with that GUI tool, to increase the size, amount, and emission rate of the particles? I think P.C. can achieve the same effect, it will just take awhile to experiment with the emitter properties (and yes, you might also need to use a different image for the particles being emitted).

Brent
[import]uid: 200026 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134192[/import]

Hello,
I’m not familiar with how CCParticleSun looks. Is it just one emitter, or a combination of several emitters, each one adding to a layered effect?

I haven’t used it personally, but I bookmarked an interesting code share project in Corona. It’s a GUI-based Particle Candy utility, allowing you to tweak and edit the emitter directly on the screen instead of tinkering with code values over and over until you get the correct effect.

http://developer.coronalabs.com/code/particle-candy-effects-creator

Maybe this can help you figure out a reasonable clone of the CC emitter.
Brent [import]uid: 200026 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 133984[/import]

Hi All,

This picture shows a screenshot of CCParticleSun in action:
CCParticleSun on Cocos2d in action.

The sun (regular image or a colorful circle / 2d ball) is starting from stationary position on the left and moving to the right. It leaves a trail of “fire”. On the left you can see where it was sitting before moving. I am using the same image as a particle, expect 1/2 transparent. It seems to create a burning pattern and a trace of the object behind its motion, blended with the other sprites on the screen. This is the effect I’m looking to re-create with Particle Candy.

Pixin: That’s a good thought I looked into that example. They use a long image as the tail of the comet, which works great for a comet. It would not be able to follow non-linear motion of the object, thus that won’t work for me. If speed was constant or changes smooth, I could rotate the particles, but it’s a bit too slow and clumsy for my purposes… With a different kind of image, it might work. I’ll play with the parameters to see if it would have some ideas I could use. Thanks for the tip.

Brent: Thanks for the app. I’ll continue playing with the different values.

I’m using this:
Properties.blendMode = “add” – SET TO ADDITIVE BLEND MODE (BRIGHTEN)
And it does seem to create an additive blending type effect. Is this what you referred to or is this another kind of effect?

This is not in the GUI tool you referred to, but I can probably add it there.
Unfortunately, I’m still quite far from the effect I want to create.

I think I need to create a “burned” looking pattern image for the particles, maybe set up random rotation so it looks different at different parts of the trail. Additive blending and that’s it, maybe?

Seems to me that I would need quite a few particles to create the same effect: a smooth trail like that. Especially if my object is moving fast, otherwise the trail looks not thin but broken with empty spaces. the CCParticleSun seems to create quite a smooth effect. I was hoping someone more experienced with Particle systems could open up what parameters might be needed.

These are my best guesses so far. I’ll play with these ideas for a while using the tool you mentioned.

Any experience and ideas that would help/speed up the experimentation is very welcome!

Thanks!

[import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134306[/import]

I created something similar that works for my purposes.

It was important to change the image and have a higher emission rate with AttachParticleType. I set the rate to 60 which is my frame rate. Also blendMode needs to be “add”. With fadeOutSpeed & Delay and scaleOutSpeed I can make the tail smoothly go away.

I noticed that if I use this:

Properties.rotationVariation = 360
Properties.rotationChange = 20

It becomes quite heavy on the performance. Any thoughts on the rotation and performance?
Other than that it’s close enough to the original…

[import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134374[/import]

I am using the

Ideas? [import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134175[/import]

I am using the

Ideas? [import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134176[/import]

Did you try the Comet example in Particle Candy? It might give you the effect you want. [import]uid: 40033 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134184[/import]

Hi again @zeusartemisoy,
The image you link from Cocos2D is definitely using “additive” blending, thus the super-bright white center (because the particles are add-blending atop each other toward the center). It’s strange that P.C. isn’t producing the same effect, because Corona definitely supports additive blending, and P.C. lets you set it in the method you are using.

Did you tinker with that GUI tool, to increase the size, amount, and emission rate of the particles? I think P.C. can achieve the same effect, it will just take awhile to experiment with the emitter properties (and yes, you might also need to use a different image for the particles being emitted).

Brent
[import]uid: 200026 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134192[/import]

Hi All,

This picture shows a screenshot of CCParticleSun in action:

The sun (regular image or a colorful circle / 2d ball) is starting from stationary position on the left and moving to the right. It leaves a trail of “fire”. On the left you can see where it was sitting before moving. I am using the same image as a particle, expect 1/2 transparent. It seems to create a burning pattern and a trace of the object behind its motion, blended with the other sprites on the screen. This is the effect I’m looking to re-create with Particle Candy.

Pixin: That’s a good thought I looked into that example. They use a long image as the tail of the comet, which works great for a comet. It would not be able to follow non-linear motion of the object, thus that won’t work for me. If speed was constant or changes smooth, I could rotate the particles, but it’s a bit too slow and clumsy for my purposes… With a different kind of image, it might work. I’ll play with the parameters to see if it would have some ideas I could use. Thanks for the tip.

Brent: Thanks for the app. I’ll continue playing with the different values.

I’m using this:
Properties.blendMode = “add” – SET TO ADDITIVE BLEND MODE (BRIGHTEN)
And it does seem to create an additive blending type effect. Is this what you referred to or is this another kind of effect?

This is not in the GUI tool you referred to, but I can probably add it there.
Unfortunately, I’m still quite far from the effect I want to create.

I think I need to create a “burned” looking pattern image for the particles, maybe set up random rotation so it looks different at different parts of the trail. Additive blending and that’s it, maybe?

Seems to me that I would need quite a few particles to create the same effect: a smooth trail like that. Especially if my object is moving fast, otherwise the trail looks not thin but broken with empty spaces. the CCParticleSun seems to create quite a smooth effect. I was hoping someone more experienced with Particle systems could open up what parameters might be needed.

These are my best guesses so far. I’ll play with these ideas for a while using the tool you mentioned.

Any experience and ideas that would help/speed up the experimentation is very welcome!

Thanks!

[import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134306[/import]

I created something similar that works for my purposes.

It was important to change the image and have a higher emission rate with AttachParticleType. I set the rate to 60 which is my frame rate. Also blendMode needs to be “add”. With fadeOutSpeed & Delay and scaleOutSpeed I can make the tail smoothly go away.

I noticed that if I use this:

Properties.rotationVariation = 360
Properties.rotationChange = 20

It becomes quite heavy on the performance. Any thoughts on the rotation and performance?
Other than that it’s close enough to the original…

[import]uid: 181855 topic_id: 33683 reply_id: 134374[/import]