Particle Designer Color Issue...

I have some issues changing the startcolor for an emitter. Somehow it is always the standard blue and can’t be changed.

Did someone else encounter this problem?

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

Where are you changing this, from within ParticleDesigner? Or another visual preview tool? Or within the JSON file itself?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi Brent,

thank you for your fast feedback. I already found the cause of the problem. I accidentally have used some code where the values for coloring the start particles were set to blue :frowning::wink: … so this was solved. BUT I still have problems to create opaque particles which can be used on light backgrounds. Somehow the particles I see in Particle Designer are not what I see in Corona. The ones in Corona have some blending activated (add ? ) but I didn’t use it in Particle Designer. With settings: GL_ONE and below GL_ONE_MINUS_SOURCE_ALPHA  I can see opaque particles in Particle Designer but not in my app. In the app it still is blending to a bright light on some of the particles.

Do you maybe have an idea what is causing this?

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

Any chance you can show a screenshot of the difference? Does it appear on devices, or in the Simulator, or both?

Brent

Hi Brent,

attached you can find an image of the standard effect in Particle Designer and the result in the simulator (which is the same on an iPad). I’m using a different background (blue and white), but the effect in Particle Designer is opaque which should be a dark blue on the device and in the simulator then… but instead I’m getting the blended light blue effect which is barely visible.

Thank you for your fast reply!

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

What happens if you place the same background behind the particle generator inside Particle Designer itself? This would be under:

View > Choose Background Image

I’m just curious if a similar result will occur.

Thanks,

Brent

Attached you can see the result in Particle Designer with the image background. It’s exactly what I’m aiming for in the simulator and on the device.

Best,

Daniela

Have you tried changing the various blend settings? Unfortunately, I don’t fully understand what each effect does in relation between PD and Corona, or if the results can be expected to be the same. Perhaps you can experiment with some different settings and achieve what you want?

Take care,

Brent

I just have tested one or two combinations which looked similar on PD and in the simulator. I hoped maybe someone encountered the same problem and already has found an answer.

I will test changing the settings combinations next and if I found the right one (if there is one) I will post it here.

Thx for your help!

Best,

Daniela

I now have tried some combinations and I have fixed the issue. I don’t really know how the problem was fixed because i ended up with the same values in the end. But here is what I did… maybe someone can use the info:

As you can see the standard emitter (or the colored ones I created) didn’t blend right in the simulator and on the device compared to Particle Designer. The values for blending were:

Blend Source:

GL_ONE

Blend Destination:

GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

With this standard values I still had some additive blending on the simulator and on the device. In Particle Designer everything looked opaque and okay.

Now I changed the Blend Source in PD to GL_ZERO and exported this new particle emitter. I tested it on the device and everything looked as in PD.

Now I changed the values for the Blend Source back and clicked through some of the Blend Destination values. I ended up with the values from the beginning, which are:

Blend Source:

GL_ONE

Blend Destination:

GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

I now changed the color of the Particles and exported the emitter again.

And everything worked!

Can’t explain why, but it is working now. :slight_smile:

Thx for all the help!

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

Where are you changing this, from within ParticleDesigner? Or another visual preview tool? Or within the JSON file itself?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi Brent,

thank you for your fast feedback. I already found the cause of the problem. I accidentally have used some code where the values for coloring the start particles were set to blue :frowning::wink: … so this was solved. BUT I still have problems to create opaque particles which can be used on light backgrounds. Somehow the particles I see in Particle Designer are not what I see in Corona. The ones in Corona have some blending activated (add ? ) but I didn’t use it in Particle Designer. With settings: GL_ONE and below GL_ONE_MINUS_SOURCE_ALPHA  I can see opaque particles in Particle Designer but not in my app. In the app it still is blending to a bright light on some of the particles.

Do you maybe have an idea what is causing this?

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

Any chance you can show a screenshot of the difference? Does it appear on devices, or in the Simulator, or both?

Brent

Hi Brent,

attached you can find an image of the standard effect in Particle Designer and the result in the simulator (which is the same on an iPad). I’m using a different background (blue and white), but the effect in Particle Designer is opaque which should be a dark blue on the device and in the simulator then… but instead I’m getting the blended light blue effect which is barely visible.

Thank you for your fast reply!

Best,

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

What happens if you place the same background behind the particle generator inside Particle Designer itself? This would be under:

View > Choose Background Image

I’m just curious if a similar result will occur.

Thanks,

Brent

Attached you can see the result in Particle Designer with the image background. It’s exactly what I’m aiming for in the simulator and on the device.

Best,

Daniela

Have you tried changing the various blend settings? Unfortunately, I don’t fully understand what each effect does in relation between PD and Corona, or if the results can be expected to be the same. Perhaps you can experiment with some different settings and achieve what you want?

Take care,

Brent

I just have tested one or two combinations which looked similar on PD and in the simulator. I hoped maybe someone encountered the same problem and already has found an answer.

I will test changing the settings combinations next and if I found the right one (if there is one) I will post it here.

Thx for your help!

Best,

Daniela

I now have tried some combinations and I have fixed the issue. I don’t really know how the problem was fixed because i ended up with the same values in the end. But here is what I did… maybe someone can use the info:

As you can see the standard emitter (or the colored ones I created) didn’t blend right in the simulator and on the device compared to Particle Designer. The values for blending were:

Blend Source:

GL_ONE

Blend Destination:

GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

With this standard values I still had some additive blending on the simulator and on the device. In Particle Designer everything looked opaque and okay.

Now I changed the Blend Source in PD to GL_ZERO and exported this new particle emitter. I tested it on the device and everything looked as in PD.

Now I changed the values for the Blend Source back and clicked through some of the Blend Destination values. I ended up with the values from the beginning, which are:

Blend Source:

GL_ONE

Blend Destination:

GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

I now changed the color of the Particles and exported the emitter again.

And everything worked!

Can’t explain why, but it is working now. :slight_smile:

Thx for all the help!

Best,

Daniela

For those who might have familiar issue

If you want to have each particle in the same colour as the original PNG independent of its background be sure to set the following parameters in Particle Designer

Blend source: GL_ONE

Blend destination: GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

Start color: white (100% opacity)

End color: white (100% opacity)

Pay close attention to start/end color. I didn’t set this at first and it was causing me issues.

Hope that helps.

1 Like