[ParticleCandy] Wind graphics to use with Particle Candy to represent wind?

Anyone have any suggestions, graphics, links etc regarding how to use Particle Candy to show wind blowing across a game, and from a specific point (e.g. fan) out from there.

I’m mainly interested in some graphics (PNG files) that might represent wind well, but if you’ve also hooked them into Particle Candy that would be a bonus.
[import]uid: 140210 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 330024[/import]

Leaves? Confetti? Or abstract it and use little semi-transparent arrows that always point in their direction of travel, which could be useful for the player. I’m pretty sure Particle Candy lets you rotate particles so they can orient in their direction of travel.

If your game literally shows a fan you could opt NOT to indicate the wind direction using particles and instead just animate some string graphics attached to the front of the fan to hint at the force and direction of the wind. Longer strings and/or more rapidly animating strings could indicate strength of the wind.

[import]uid: 9422 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120259[/import]

Very good ideas so far. Another idea is to use moving streaks that fade in and out over their course, ideally also curving along a wave trajectory slightly. The game “Where’s My Water?” has a nice wind effect in a later world, but if you haven’t played it, it’s hard to describe it in detail.

Brent [import]uid: 9747 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120284[/import]

As Stephen suggested, you could use some leaves or confetti (or ‘smoke’) particles to indicate wind. Set the ‘useEmitterRotation’ property of the regarding particle types to true to let the particles fly into the direction where their emitter points.

Another way would be to use a FX field (set its mode property to 3, which forces all particles -or just certain particle types- into a certain direction). See the included samples for a demonstration (‘Sample_FX_Fields_Redirectors’ or ‘Effects Library’ which has also some kind of wind effect included).
[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120291[/import]

thanks guys - I’ll look into this now

@x-pressive - while you’re there is there a way to use ParticleCandy such that it would get the rotation level of the particle (say a squiggly line) to automatically match the rotation direction that particles were shot out in? [import]uid: 140210 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120292[/import]

If you want the particle to be aligned to its travel direction while moving, just set the .autoOrientation property to true for the regarding particle type. Set the .useEmitterRotation property to true to let the particles inherit their emitter’s rotation when they are spawned:

CreateParticleType( )
[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120453[/import]

Leaves? Confetti? Or abstract it and use little semi-transparent arrows that always point in their direction of travel, which could be useful for the player. I’m pretty sure Particle Candy lets you rotate particles so they can orient in their direction of travel.

If your game literally shows a fan you could opt NOT to indicate the wind direction using particles and instead just animate some string graphics attached to the front of the fan to hint at the force and direction of the wind. Longer strings and/or more rapidly animating strings could indicate strength of the wind.

[import]uid: 9422 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120259[/import]

Very good ideas so far. Another idea is to use moving streaks that fade in and out over their course, ideally also curving along a wave trajectory slightly. The game “Where’s My Water?” has a nice wind effect in a later world, but if you haven’t played it, it’s hard to describe it in detail.

Brent [import]uid: 9747 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120284[/import]

As Stephen suggested, you could use some leaves or confetti (or ‘smoke’) particles to indicate wind. Set the ‘useEmitterRotation’ property of the regarding particle types to true to let the particles fly into the direction where their emitter points.

Another way would be to use a FX field (set its mode property to 3, which forces all particles -or just certain particle types- into a certain direction). See the included samples for a demonstration (‘Sample_FX_Fields_Redirectors’ or ‘Effects Library’ which has also some kind of wind effect included).
[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120291[/import]

thanks guys - I’ll look into this now

@x-pressive - while you’re there is there a way to use ParticleCandy such that it would get the rotation level of the particle (say a squiggly line) to automatically match the rotation direction that particles were shot out in? [import]uid: 140210 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120292[/import]

If you want the particle to be aligned to its travel direction while moving, just set the .autoOrientation property to true for the regarding particle type. Set the .useEmitterRotation property to true to let the particles inherit their emitter’s rotation when they are spawned:

CreateParticleType( )
[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 30024 reply_id: 120453[/import]

http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/02/19/more-physics-tricks-explained/

have a look at this page its got some files you can download

http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/02/19/more-physics-tricks-explained/

have a look at this page its got some files you can download