png and jpg image scrambling?

Is there some way to scramble images so they can’t be easily extracted from the .ipa and used? I appreciate that there probably isn’t an infallible method. Still, better something than nothing. Thank you.

I have stored images in lua files before. If it is something you want to try, I can dig through my repo and find the code.

2 Likes

agramonte - seems there’s no end to your ingenuity. Yes - I’d like that. Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

hahaha hardly. I made a project and copy the code over. I also kept an encryption example. I think I just ended up doing base64 because the encryption type I am using is too slow.

loadImages.zip (229.8 KB)

2 Likes

Agramonte - well, that’s just fabulous. I really do appreciate you taking the time. Now to discovery how to make more than a few lousy dollars per month. I used to do quite well a few years ago. But alas, it’s all gone. Harder than ever to survive on the App Store as an indie. Still, that’s a whole other debate/discussion. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first game was a simple tic-tac-toe game and I released it on Monday and by mid weeks I had thousands of installs for iOS in Japan. I thought this is easy. Every year it gets harder and harder and the margins (at least for me) get smaller and smaller.

1 Like

This is quite an ingenious approach.

I had a look at the code and I think it might be a bit too clever. It takes my computer around 6 seconds to load a single image, so it isn’t very scalable.

Since it writes the image to temp folder, you could essentially just place all of your assets inside a password protected zip folder and unzip it to the temp folder on start up. It’d work for non-rooted iOS and Android, but not for desktop builds.

1 Like

Yes. It is slow. I used it for some images that are displayed one at a time that I couldn’t for legal reason have them exposed as they are in a current Solar2d build (sitting in a folder). I had a spinner between image loading. It wouldn’t work for a massive amount of images. And yes the zip file idea is a good one.

Another idea I had is to have some way to shuffle horizontal lines of an image and then shuffle them again.

1 Like

agramonte - I too had some success. No longer. Back in 2013 I released a capitals and flags game. 700 downloads per day but dropped off after the first week. That was back when Apple pushed new apps in front of users to give new apps a chance. Now Apple have spun 180 degrees and now charge for such a service via advertising. This might be my last push/year on the App Store. I might have to return to tutoring or something else.

I have too many images for it to be used as is. It does take a few seconds (5 or 6) to display a single image. Very clever though!