Pretty basic MapView crashes on Android, glitches a little on Iphone

I’ll check with engineering and see if it’s possible to add a call back function to the native.newMap() API.  Seems that you need to know when it’s complete to start adding things. 

Rob

That sounds like it would work for me, or:

• if the SDK buffered the requests, and processed them after the map finished… (difficult no doubt)

• or if the sdk kept a local copy of the apps requested new mapView area, so it could get it’s newMarker positions/scales correct while google does it’s thing… (presuming something along those lines is the problem) This might not be so hard…

iOS works well, but I’m guessing they handle a lot of the map data locally (the view area for instance), and modify it there, so there’s no timing issue.

That would be amazing! Thank you very much for your follow-up. We are literally shooting in the dark not knowing when map loading is complete. 

After talking to Engineering about this, while it’s possible to have an onComplete type features, they don’t believe this will help.  We already queue actions to Google.  In simple terms, we don’t add the map points until the map is loaded.  They have seen this behavior in the native maps app and it seems to be a rendering issue on the Google side.  Zooming in and out seems to solve it.  You might be able to simulate this using the setRegion() call. 

Rob

I think onComplete for map loading would help in other ways. It would allow us to be offer better user experience. Same with webViews. We need to know when loading has ended ideally.

@ksan, we have been busy with our new version and I did not have time to try it yet. I will do it as soon as possible :slight_smile:

Sure thing. Not to worry. I will look forward to hearing of your impressions. Either way the current mapView implementation by Corona Labs leave a lot to be desired. I hope they have a chance to revisit this API soon to fix existing bugs and implement many missing features.