Pricing & Maintenance Fee

I’m about to release a small biz app on apple/android. This is my first effort and have no knowledge of what actually happens in the stores re payments.

I’m envisioning selling the initial download for $4 - and expecting to get a $2/yr maintenance fee. 

I’ve noticed that other app providers offering the same type of product have subscription packages - one was $8/MONTH, which was considerably higher than my one-time cost.

I began reading the Corona’s IAP paper (https://coronalabs.com/blog/2013/09/03/tutorial-understanding-in-app-purchases/) - but am not sure if I need that yet.

Question 1: can apps sold in apple/google stores support a subsequent-maintenance charge - or is that only achievable through the IAP?

Question 2: can the IAP tech stuff be integrated later after initial sales have been made? 

Would love any advice/commentary from those of you who have dealt with this issue.

Thanks/spirits,

Seth

1. It is an IAP setup, but it’s called “Subscriptions”.

2. You can always add it later, but people would have to update to get the new features. In your case, if the subscription is to be the main cash source, I would start out with it. You don’t want a bunch of downloads out there that won’t know how to subscribe and they get to by pass your ongoing charges.

You of course would have to program in a way to disable features if they cancel/don’t renew their subscription.

Rob

Rob,

What happens when I offer an update that offers new features or fixes something, is there an automatic download/update - OR does the User have an option to refuse the update?

I’m starting my IAP training now. thanks.

Users have to choose to download updates. Many people turn auto updates on, but many don’t. You can’t depend on it.

Rob

1. It is an IAP setup, but it’s called “Subscriptions”.

2. You can always add it later, but people would have to update to get the new features. In your case, if the subscription is to be the main cash source, I would start out with it. You don’t want a bunch of downloads out there that won’t know how to subscribe and they get to by pass your ongoing charges.

You of course would have to program in a way to disable features if they cancel/don’t renew their subscription.

Rob

Rob,

What happens when I offer an update that offers new features or fixes something, is there an automatic download/update - OR does the User have an option to refuse the update?

I’m starting my IAP training now. thanks.

Users have to choose to download updates. Many people turn auto updates on, but many don’t. You can’t depend on it.

Rob