Publishing to Steam tips?

Hi,

I am aiming at releasing my project on Steam (PC only at first). I was hoping to gain some knowledge from the community, so here are my questions (all in relation to Steam/Solar2D):

• Are there any “gotchas” I should be aware of as I develop?
  • Are there special things that I will need to integrate?
  • Has anyone integrated things like achievements?
  • What cool feature(s) does Steam add to a project, if any?
  • What should I expect in regards to publishing the final project?

Thanks in advance for any enlightment you can shine upon me.

-dev

3 Likes

I did find this (not sure how I missed it) but I am still interested in hearing some first hand experiences.

-dev

I’m going to follow this topic, because I managed to get ready for wishlist, but that’s just the beginning :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Like Stefano already hinted towards, you’ll want to create a Steam page for your game as soon as possible. Once you have a page up, you can start marketing the game and getting it wishlisted. Creating a page just before launch means zero pre-launch visibility and likely abysmal (initial) sales.

2 Likes

Steamworks sdk should allow for easy integration of achievements and login etc but I would not recommend spending development time on achievements from the start. They are unlikely to get you any significant engagement unless your game is are already eligible for trading cards and has a substantial userbase.

Controller support with the ability to remap controls will be very helpful as well as language localisations. You can release your game to early access ot grant beta access to limited users to gauge interest. Once you have a thousand or so users, it should be easier to see which regions the bulk of them are from and can guide your decision making with regards localisation and other features

Connecting with some users on steam who have played and enjoyed your beta builds can prove helpful whether it’s for translations or just requesting them to spread the word, post in their groups and so on. Steam has powerful community features and my opinion is this is the best starting point to promote your game pre-release

Twitter is great for identifying streamers who might be up for featuring your work and joining in the twitch streams and participating there is a good strategy towards expanding your network. Without a massive marketing budget, the best thing you can do is to make a killer game and then engage extensively with the gaming community.

All the best!

Edit: once you are able to get an early access build and store listing approved, consider signing up for woovit to allow content creators to discover your game a d request keys for reviewing it. There are other similar platforms like catapult.gg and keymailer which you can also consider

4 Likes

Hi,

Thank you both! The tip about early access and how to build awareness is fantastic.

-dev

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.