Read Phone State permission (Android)

Hey,

The official documentation for RevMob/Corona states that the “read phone state” permission on Android should be enabled. Anyone know why? It feels iffy, it could become be a reason for many people not to install my app.

Thanks,

Wim

this seems to be a tricky one to get a straight answer for. (here’s another attempt)

revmob in particular is a mess. if you read their docs, yes, they say it’s required. but if you look at the sample incl with sdk, it’s not there.

makes it difficult to integrate various libs that do/not require/forbid it. plus, yes, reviewers (particularly on amazon!) will crucify you for it.

fwiw, hth

alright, thanks!

If I need that permission I’ll switch to some other library, it’s unacceptable.

I just received a response from Revmob stating that the read phone state is NOT required and that they will update the documentation

Good job getting an official reply. :slight_smile: (matches my experience, too, btw)

Just note that you may STILL want to manually check what permissions your build ACTUALLY ends up with (either via settins-apps, or a tool like Addons Detector).

Why? Some plugins will add that permission back in for you “automatically”. (behind-the-scenes, silently without notice, and without any documentation of the fact! argh!!)

Tap-for-tap is one such – so into the scrap heap it goes (for me). My list is far from complete, but Chartboost is also clean (and in fact FORBIDS the permission), AdMob is clean (at least v1 was, haven’t yet tested v2).

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you reckon revmob is enough on its own as an ad service? The fill rate seems fine, but should I add admob as a backup?

this seems to be a tricky one to get a straight answer for. (here’s another attempt)

revmob in particular is a mess. if you read their docs, yes, they say it’s required. but if you look at the sample incl with sdk, it’s not there.

makes it difficult to integrate various libs that do/not require/forbid it. plus, yes, reviewers (particularly on amazon!) will crucify you for it.

fwiw, hth

alright, thanks!

If I need that permission I’ll switch to some other library, it’s unacceptable.

I just received a response from Revmob stating that the read phone state is NOT required and that they will update the documentation

Good job getting an official reply. :slight_smile: (matches my experience, too, btw)

Just note that you may STILL want to manually check what permissions your build ACTUALLY ends up with (either via settins-apps, or a tool like Addons Detector).

Why? Some plugins will add that permission back in for you “automatically”. (behind-the-scenes, silently without notice, and without any documentation of the fact! argh!!)

Tap-for-tap is one such – so into the scrap heap it goes (for me). My list is far from complete, but Chartboost is also clean (and in fact FORBIDS the permission), AdMob is clean (at least v1 was, haven’t yet tested v2).

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you reckon revmob is enough on its own as an ad service? The fill rate seems fine, but should I add admob as a backup?