Realtime shadow test

https://youtu.be/CR-65hHAcmc

Not much more to be said, really, apart from the fact that as I updated the code from a hacky-mess to something not quite as hacky with error checks etc, speed did drop sufficiently that I think soft-edge shadows probably isn’t the way to go. Hard-edges though are still nicely fast  :slight_smile:

How’d you do that?

The tile layer data lets you know if there’s a tile there or not, so you can find edges that face away from the light source. Shadow edges are just a line from the wall’s corner away from the light. So to answer your question, mostly it is just maths :slight_smile:

Very cool.

rakoonic,

Thanks for all the demos and inspiration over the years.  Any chance some of your experiments might end up as a plugin in the Corona Marketplace?

-Jonathan

Possibly.

At the moment this is just a proof of concept test, it would need a fair amount of work to be useable which requires time. Time which I hope to have in the next few weeks or so :slight_smile:

How’d you do that?

The tile layer data lets you know if there’s a tile there or not, so you can find edges that face away from the light source. Shadow edges are just a line from the wall’s corner away from the light. So to answer your question, mostly it is just maths :slight_smile:

Very cool.

rakoonic,

Thanks for all the demos and inspiration over the years.  Any chance some of your experiments might end up as a plugin in the Corona Marketplace?

-Jonathan

Possibly.

At the moment this is just a proof of concept test, it would need a fair amount of work to be useable which requires time. Time which I hope to have in the next few weeks or so :slight_smile: