Rebranding Corona

Guys, this is a thread about rebranding, not about the merits or the needs of a 3D Engine in Corona/Solar. Please open a new thread if you wish to continue that discussion.

Rob 

Damn :smiley: I was hopin to be rid of the orange but I guess solar still sticks to it cuz yellow is hard to see and red too tough. At least go for bronze/gold instead of current red :stuck_out_tongue:

At first I didn’t like the new name but a few hours later Solar2d sounds cool.

Seeing Rob so active in forum, the community eager to offer and Vlad helping with posts and personal messages make me feel really optimistic.

I agree. The moment I saw it, I thought that “Solar/Solar2D doesn’t sound that good, but at least we are getting a re-branding.”

A few minutes later, I admit I like it even more than the other suggestions. It’s great. I’m between Solar and Solar2D though. I feel like just “Solar” would be more impactful, but googling for “Solar engine” makes me think of solar energy or solar powered engines, whereas “Solar2D” wouldn’t have those issues and the 2D might help with SEO and clarity in general.

I think Love2D is just “Love” but the domain name has the 2D suffix presumably for clarity and SEO.

Hi,

I asked my brother if he had any logo ideas. He does product branding (worked on PS4, as well as others). I told him I have a $0 budget. He’s pretty busy, but said he would try to get something together on his down time, so a 50/50 chance. :wink:

-dev

Is the name Solar absolutely fixed? Perhaps you could do a vote?

Obviously keeping with the theme. Sol or Solaris, Sun even. But perhaps a more unique sun orientated name like a God - Aton, Helios or Apollo. I mean Helios. Im not sure about “2D” but perhaps something like Studio, Kit, Builder etc.

I don’t dislike the name but just thinking of possible other names while you are discussing it and that something slightly more unique might stand out.

There has been a discussion on the #rebrand Slack channel about this for a while.  A lot of names were batted around and the "2D’ which I also disliked at first makes sense with regard to uniqueness.  I did a trademark search on Solar 2D and there were zero matches.  However, there are over 2,000 matches to Solar (6,000 if you include businesses that are no longer operational ).

There is also the matter of the url.  The other names you mentioned are probably not available urls unless we add something to the end, like “2D”.  :wink:

I’m not sure who had the final say (probably Vlad) but we’ve moved on to the logo/identity package part and I can tell you that the process looks promising - even with the “2D” which, as a designer, I dislike graphically.  You should head over to the Corona Developer #rebrand slack channel to take a look and add ideas.

I’m confident that we will have a great open source platform and a good identity package to match.

At this point, we are going with Solar2D.com and it appears that we really need the 2D in the name due to “Solar” being a pretty popular name.  

While we don’t have hard dates, I’m guessing we really should choose a logo/icon/color palette/tag line by 15-Apr-2020. It’s not important we have all of this live on 1-May, so this is kind of a soft date. Our focus is making sure you can build on 1-May and going forward, but the sooner we can decide, on the collateral, the sooner we can start working on all the sample apps, website, social media branding or even changing my avatar!

Rob

Something about energizing ideas or birth of fantasies/ ideas might work well as a slogan for Solar 2D

Our small team at famousdogg has been with Corona since some years and we wish all you guys working behind the scenes the very best! Going forward, we will support the development and maintenance the best we can :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi all! I love Corona SDK and the Corona community, and I just wanted to do my bit. What do you think as a starting point?

Corona-Solar-Prototype-1.jpg

Icon looks fantastic. Color and font of Solar look great too.

the ‘2D’ needs to be a bit bigger. same hight as the "S. 

Is this the official logo?

As I think we mentioned above, the rebranding discussion is happening on the community slack in the #rebrand channel. All logo, icon, font, color theme, tagline suggestions etc. needs to go there.

We haven’t decided on anything yet. I’ve given the community a soft deadline of 15-Apr to come up with ideas. Then I’ll talk with Vlad about how we want to pick among the best.

There have been some very good submissions so far. This logo is as good as any, but it needs to be seen where the others are and it needs to be a standalone image. The welcome screen really hides it.

Rob

I agree with MartingK regarding bmrpeal’s logo idea.

Also, while I said in Slack that in my opinion the logo doesn’t need to have any references to the old one, I think that bmrpeal’s suggestion embodies the old logo fantastically.

@Rob

Are there any requirements for rebranding? Also I went to Slack but did not see a #rebrand channel.

Thanks for your feedback XeduR and MartingK, I’ll do a variation with your proposal. I’ll continue in Slack, sorry for the inconvenience @Rob !

Mike, I added you to the channel.

Rob

Mike, I missed the other question. Everyone seems focused on a Logo at the moment. I’m guessing that color palettes can be extracted from the logo as well as Icons. Other things like taglines haven’t gotten a lot of momentum.

As far as design guidelines, there aren’t any really. I think it needs to embody the sun some how. But that’s not a hard decision. Some of the really good designs are not obvious suns.

You shouldn’t go with Solar alone as it’s already too generic and who knows what solar energy solutions future might bring. So 2D or smth else is a must in my opinion.