Regarding the iOS ATT request

We are trying to show the att request using the new solar2d plugin that was made available recently. What we’re doing basically is to show the request popup after the user has opened the app a few times and completed part of the game-- this works fine for some new devices but for any of our test devices where the permission was perviously declined, we are simply not able to get the popup to show.

According to other forums, developers have found that the popup should still show provided the user has allowed apps to request permission for tracking.

All we get is a response in the listener that indicates that the status was “denied” which sadly doesn’t serve the purpose because the idea is to be able to request again after some time.

Just wanted to see how you other iOS developers here are handling their requests and if the plugin is working in the above use-case for you guys.

Cheers!

In my app, I ask every time before I initialize the ads. Currently, it is working exactly as you mentioned. Once the player denies the pop-up only an un-install and re-install will display the pop-up again. I have not read anything in particular but knowing how Apple has implemented other prompt-based calls, I doubt they will allow you just to spam this prompt. Where did you read it can be shown twice at the developer’s request? You can’t show the bluetooth, location, and other prompts at will. Once the user says no it is a no unless they go and change it in settings.

It was on one of the apple dev forum threads but I may have misinterpreted it and you’re probably right. However, for me, even a reinstall does not show the prompt again. For instance, I think I still get the prompt for push-notifications after I reinstall but never for tracking. The app gets listed in the tracking menu under device settings and the permission can be toggled for there but I cannot get the popup to show.

The same is happening with my app. If I choose not to allow tracking then even if I reinstall the app the popup doesn’t show up. I am using the ATT plugin and it is right quoted by @famousdoggstudios that the status in the listener will still be “denied” even if you reinstall the app. I have a feeling that I am using the plugin incorrectly. Any IOS dev here who is using this plugin who can shed some light on this issue or a possible way around it?

Any help will be appreciated.

After updating my xcode I can now get the popup to show again when I reinstall the app but I’d be very interested to know how we can hold back and show the popup to request permission at a later stage rather then when the app is first launched-- this appears to be the strategy that many developers are requesting.

Once I add the plist entire, regardless of what I do with the ATT plugin, the request invariably pops up when the app is first launched

I would be interested to see what numbers these people are getting. I have 2 apps I already updated to use ATT. I ask at the start.

App 1: 30% approved, 70% denied, 4% restricted, 10% non-determined.
App 2: 40% approved, 49% denied, 8% restricted, 3% non-determined.

So far, it is much better than I expected. I wonder if they are seeing better retention or some other metric that makes them want to delay it. I do know that if during the review Apple does not see the pop-up they will ask you to provide how to reproduce it. This happened to me recently.

Those stats don’t sound too bad so good work!

Honestly, I’ve not updated my apps yet but guidance offered by some publishers through blogs/webinars etc usually talks about showing users a custom modal to help them understand why we need that permission and first allow them a little more time with an app before making the actual request. I’ll keep posting my findings here but I feel developers will need a strategy for this going forward.

I was also considering taking the user to the native Settings app on iOS should they feel convinced about why we ask to track them but there doesn’t seem to be a straightforward way to achieve this on Solar2D.