Rejected on AppStore, contains Covid-19 or related references in the .plist or in your binary

Hi all need help, my app just a simple timer countdown app nothing related with covid-19. Did anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks for your time

Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed

We have started the review of your app, but we are not able to continue because we need additional information about the functionality and services in your app related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Next Steps

To help us proceed with the review of your app, please provide detailed responses to the following questions. The more information you can provide at this time, the sooner we can complete your review.

-Your app contains Covid-19 or related references in the .plist or in your binary, to what purpose does your app reference said subjects?
-What are the steps needed to locate those references within your binary?

Once you reply to this message in Resolution Center with the requested information, we can proceed with your review.

Assuming you are using old builds. Download the latest build (2020.3582) and the issue should go away. https://developer.coronalabs.com/downloads/coronasdk

In the build settings add this splash control. It is free now.

splashScreen =
    {
        ios = {
            enable = false
        },
        android = {
            enable = false
        }
    },
1 Like

for your info I’m using latest build corona sdk 3582

Other developers faced this issue. As far as I know, they solved it by replying to that message and telling them about the engine and the transition to Solar2D. I remember @GrahamRanson1 solving this. Maybe he could help.

2 Likes

You can reply something like

My game is using Corona Game Engine. It is 10 years in business of delivering games to Apple App Store. It is unrelated to COVID-19 or coronaviruses. It is also registered trademark of the Corona Labs.

Corona is a common word, which has meanings outside of the pandemic. Like #3 game engine by games on mobile devices.

1 Like

In case anybody still has problems with App Store rejection due to Corona references in the meta data, I just ran into that problem when submitting an update for Ice Trap that was rejected because:

• Your app contains Corona references in the info_plist and other files in your binary, to what purpose does your app reference said subjects?
  • What are the steps needed to locate those references within your binary?

I replied the following and Apple was ok with it, and the update is now ready for sale:

The reason for “Corona references” in the plist file is because the game itself is built using the Corona 2D game engine which has existed for probably at least 10 years. See https://coronalabs.com.

Since the Corona pandemic started, a rebranding of the Corona game engine has taken place and it is now known as Solar2D, see https://solar2d.com/.

However, a lot of the internal libraries and plugins used by the engine still contain the Corona name and/or the coronalabs.com domain name. This is nothing that is ever exposed to the end users and there are definitely no connections or references to the Covid-19 virus, just a very unfortunate name collision.

Hope you have understanding, as there is nothing I can do to change that.

4 Likes

I replied with something similar as above and it was approved in an hour.

Hi!, yesterday one update of an existing app was rejected, I replied with your message @Markus_Ranner and now I’m still waiting for review… :pensive:

Sorry for my delay, the app was approved a few hours later of my last message. Yesterday send a new app and was approved the same day!