[Resolved] AdMob plugin on Android device crashed the app

I installed AdMob enabled Android (Google Play) version on Nexus 4.  When my app tried to display Admob’s full screen interstitial ads, my app crashed.  It exited my app, and a native alert popped up, saying “Unfortunately, MyApp has stopped” with an OK button.  The adb logcat shows:

I/Corona  ( 3097): event.response = The ad loaded successfully

I/Corona  ( 3097): event.provider = AdMobProvider

I/Corona  ( 3097): event.isError = false

I/Corona  ( 3097): adNetwork = admob

Here’s a summary:

Simulator: Mac

Device OS:  Android

Device Name: Nexus 4

What issue you are seeing:  The app crashed when it was about to load the Admob interstitial ad

Corona username/e-mail (so we can check the logs):  Naomi

Please note, when I tried to display AdMob interstitial ads on iPod, the Xcode console told me that interstitial ads from Admob are available only on iPad, and it did not crash the app, which I thought was great – at least it informed me of the limitation.

Naomi

The same Android build did not crash Nexus 7.  Instead, the adb logcat says:

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.response = Ad request successful, but no ad returned due to lack of ad inventory.

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.provider = AdMobProvider

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.isError = true

I/Corona  ( 2275): adNetwork = admob

Naomi

use banner but not interstitial , it will be work.

But the other problem that I  click the ads it will crash :frowning:

Thanks, @codingcake.  I don’t use banner ads in my app, so what I really want is for the event.isError to return false.

About the ads crashing the app upon tapping, that sounds bad.

Anyhow, with the “lack of ad inventory” for interstitial ads, plus the event.isError issue described above, it seems like Admob is no go for my app.

Naomi

Hi Naomi, there is an issue with interstitial ads where the AdMob code basically does not like being a plugin (their code makes some weird assumptions), so we’re trying to work around it.

Hi Walter:

Do you consider finish Admob banner type plug-in first? 

It should be more easy then interstitial type

Hi Walter, thank you for the follow up.  I appreciate it.  I hope you’ll find the solution to the challenges that AdMob presents soon.

Naomi

@Naomi, we’ve got a fix for interstitial posted! Can you give it a try?

@codingcake, on my Nexus 7, banner ads seem to work fine. I click on it, it goes somewhere (e.g. google play or web page) and I hit the back button, and it comes back to the app. Do you still see a crash?

Hi Walter :

which build you using ?

Is any update for plug in .

Because I using daily build 1089 .

On Android tap the ads will cause crash , I try 2 phone . they were all crash.

I download 1100 to try

Thank you

I just download the build 1100 .

It seems be work fine on Android .

Thank you

Thank you, Walter.  I downloaded daily build 1100, built APK, and tried it again on Nexus 4 – and it worked without a problem.

Cheers,

Naomi

The same Android build did not crash Nexus 7.  Instead, the adb logcat says:

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.response = Ad request successful, but no ad returned due to lack of ad inventory.

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.provider = AdMobProvider

I/Corona  ( 2275): event.isError = true

I/Corona  ( 2275): adNetwork = admob

Naomi

use banner but not interstitial , it will be work.

But the other problem that I  click the ads it will crash :frowning:

Thanks, @codingcake.  I don’t use banner ads in my app, so what I really want is for the event.isError to return false.

About the ads crashing the app upon tapping, that sounds bad.

Anyhow, with the “lack of ad inventory” for interstitial ads, plus the event.isError issue described above, it seems like Admob is no go for my app.

Naomi

Hi Naomi, there is an issue with interstitial ads where the AdMob code basically does not like being a plugin (their code makes some weird assumptions), so we’re trying to work around it.

Hi Walter:

Do you consider finish Admob banner type plug-in first? 

It should be more easy then interstitial type

Hi Walter, thank you for the follow up.  I appreciate it.  I hope you’ll find the solution to the challenges that AdMob presents soon.

Naomi

@Naomi, we’ve got a fix for interstitial posted! Can you give it a try?

@codingcake, on my Nexus 7, banner ads seem to work fine. I click on it, it goes somewhere (e.g. google play or web page) and I hit the back button, and it comes back to the app. Do you still see a crash?

Hi Walter :

which build you using ?

Is any update for plug in .

Because I using daily build 1089 .

On Android tap the ads will cause crash , I try 2 phone . they were all crash.

I download 1100 to try

Thank you

I just download the build 1100 .

It seems be work fine on Android .

Thank you