run time error. Runs OK in the simulator.

Hi folks,

Before I got too far on a project, I thought I should try out the LiveBuild since I’m planning on working on an app that uses the camera. Obviously this would be immensely faster using Live Build.

I threw together something really quick as a test.

Plan :

show a couple of objects.

Build it using Live Build and copy it to the device.

Change the code to move them a bit and see the change on the device.

Result:

When I run the code in the simulator, it runs fine. No errors, object moves.

When I Live Build it, I get a runtime error, but it doesn’t explain what that error is.

Running on IOS (10.2 SDK)

Using Corona Daily (Version 2017.3022 (2017.1.11))

I don’t think I’m missing the point, but any ideas?

(I could try on an older build, since it is todays :stuck_out_tongue:   )

Part of the log is shown here, more is attached if required.

----------  Device Log Starts  ----------

[Device] bundleid: org.fingerscrossed.Camera-Test, enable_level: 0, persist_level: 0, propagate_with_activity: 0

[Device] [FBSScene] [org.fingerscrossed.Camera-Test] Created client agent: <UIApplicationSceneClientAgent: 0x1740112d0>

[Device] CoreUI(DEBUG): Current version = 428.6, Linked UIKit version = 3600, Compatibility mode = 9999

[Device] Platform: iPhone / iPhone8,1 / 10.2 / Apple A9 GPU / OpenGL ES 2.0 Metal - 38.3 / 2017.3022 / en-CA | CA | en_CA | en

[Device] ERROR: Runtime error

[Device] Platform: iPhone / iPhone8,1 / 10.2 / Apple A9 GPU / OpenGL ES 2.0 Metal - 38.3 / 2017.3022 / en-CA | CA | en_CA | en

[Device] HTTP load failed (error code: -999 [1:89])

Code is simple. (It uses SSK2, but that shouldn’t (ha) cause an issue.

assets can be any ping files whatsoever.

require "physics" physics.start( ) require "ssk2.loadSSK" \_G.ssk.init( { launchArgs = ...,&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;gameFont = "Raleway-Light.ttf", &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;measure = true, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;math2DPlugin = false, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;enableAutoListeners = true, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;exportColors = true, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;exportCore = true, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;exportSystem = true, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;debugLevel = 0 } ) print("Done") ssk.display.newImageRect( group, centerX - 100 , centerY - 50, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "assets/elephant.png",&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; { size = 40 },&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; { radius = 20, bounce = 1, gravityScale = 0.2 } )&nbsp; ssk.display.newImageRect( group, centerX - 100, centerY + 100,&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "assets/giraffe.png",&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; { size = 40 },&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; { bodyType = "static" } )&nbsp;

@graham07,

1. Give this a try: https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/SSK2/forums_help/live_build_trouble.zip

I did a live build of this above code with Corona 2016.3011 built on Windows 10 and run on a Samsung Tab 4.  It should work for you too.

1. If you want, you can zip up your sample (minus ssk2 of course) and share a link here via dropbox or other.  I’ll happily take a look.

Cheers,

Ed

It looks like some kind of Lua error is occurring, but I can’t be sure. You can zip your project and PM link to me, so I can debug it.

Alternatively, may I ask you to try building some examples, like SampleCode/Graphics/Fishies or any other and see if you get same behaviour.

Ah… By the way, I’m not sure if symlinks (aka mklink) would work correctly with Live Builds on Windows.

@vlads,

Just for your edification, I’ve tested junctions (Windows symlinks) on Windows 10 and they seem to work OK when doing (live) android builds.  

I haven’t tested making changes in the symlinked folder sub-content though.

I also haven’t tested symlinks at all on OS X.

@graham07,

Any luck?  I’m happy to take a look if it turns out to be something other than a symlink issue.

Oh, wait. My bad. Topic is about iOS build now working, so it’s Mac, which symlinks should work fine. Symlinks shouldn’t be an issue on Mac, unless it’s a new bug I would be happy to fix. It’s probably something else causing issues.

Sorry, was out for the day… Once I saw Vlads comments about symlinks, I thought ‘ah’… 

So I just removed them (copied SSK to the directory instead) and reran it.

Works fine :slight_smile:

So it is the link that caused it. Not the end of the world as I can work around by copying it in for now, but yes it is on the Mac.

Many thanks for the help and the offers of help.

Cause: Symlink on the mac was causing the issues.

Workaround: Remove the link and copy the directory instead.

Caveat: If your previously linked directory gets updated, it won’t propogate.

Thank you all.

Thanks! For some reason I made that only symlinks within the project work…

@graham07,

1. Give this a try: https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/SSK2/forums_help/live_build_trouble.zip

I did a live build of this above code with Corona 2016.3011 built on Windows 10 and run on a Samsung Tab 4.  It should work for you too.

1. If you want, you can zip up your sample (minus ssk2 of course) and share a link here via dropbox or other.  I’ll happily take a look.

Cheers,

Ed

It looks like some kind of Lua error is occurring, but I can’t be sure. You can zip your project and PM link to me, so I can debug it.

Alternatively, may I ask you to try building some examples, like SampleCode/Graphics/Fishies or any other and see if you get same behaviour.

Ah… By the way, I’m not sure if symlinks (aka mklink) would work correctly with Live Builds on Windows.

@vlads,

Just for your edification, I’ve tested junctions (Windows symlinks) on Windows 10 and they seem to work OK when doing (live) android builds.  

I haven’t tested making changes in the symlinked folder sub-content though.

I also haven’t tested symlinks at all on OS X.

@graham07,

Any luck?  I’m happy to take a look if it turns out to be something other than a symlink issue.

Oh, wait. My bad. Topic is about iOS build now working, so it’s Mac, which symlinks should work fine. Symlinks shouldn’t be an issue on Mac, unless it’s a new bug I would be happy to fix. It’s probably something else causing issues.

Sorry, was out for the day… Once I saw Vlads comments about symlinks, I thought ‘ah’… 

So I just removed them (copied SSK to the directory instead) and reran it.

Works fine :slight_smile:

So it is the link that caused it. Not the end of the world as I can work around by copying it in for now, but yes it is on the Mac.

Many thanks for the help and the offers of help.

Cause: Symlink on the mac was causing the issues.

Workaround: Remove the link and copy the directory instead.

Caveat: If your previously linked directory gets updated, it won’t propogate.

Thank you all.

Thanks! For some reason I made that only symlinks within the project work…