Serious developers should avoid Glider

I like it, but it’s impossible to work with. Even occasional lockouts are unacceptable. it’ll take control of a file and forget to release it several times a day, causing itself to spam error messages and sometimes forcing a computer restart (read: lost work). Other times, it’ll lock me out while still running, forcing a task manager close and lost work.

I should mention it’ll use 750 MBs of memory on a single open file.

There are other options you could try like Corona Editor (SublimeText plugin), ZeroBrane Studio.

However I found LuaGlider most efficient Lua IDE for me - seamless debugging, code completion works with my own libs to name few.

It would be fine - if they could just stop the random freezing.

I have been using Glider for over a year and not had these problems

I use sublime but also like outlaw http://outlawgametools.com/outlaw-code-editor-and-project-manager/

I work with Glider for a very long time but I’m really getting annoyed by the speed problems.

Can anyone suggest an IDE which hasn’t such problems and really runs fast when you have opened some tabs?

There are other options you could try like Corona Editor (SublimeText plugin), ZeroBrane Studio.

However I found LuaGlider most efficient Lua IDE for me - seamless debugging, code completion works with my own libs to name few.

It would be fine - if they could just stop the random freezing.

I have used glider for 2 years or so and the last update(s) really screwed it up. It loses track of what files are open so you sometimes edit a zombie file (a copy of an existing file) because you can double-open files. Then when the filesystem changes, it won’t update in the project and any build you attempt is “locked” and you can’t build with any modifications you make because it uses the last version before the zombie was made. Anytime you mouse over variables in your code, it does an auto-inspection and reports it as an undefined error in the console. Sigh.

I have been using Glider for over a year and not had these problems

I use sublime but also like outlaw http://outlawgametools.com/outlaw-code-editor-and-project-manager/

Today my Glider 2 won’t launch Corona - and yeah, Corona runs directly on the same directory.

UPDATE: Switching over to Sublime Text. Sad since I liked (and paid for) Lua Glider. Guess they faded away. :wacko:

I would also like to add ZERO product support.  They do NOT answer emails.  I purchased Glider and get told when trying to use the key that it is invalid.  WEEKS WITHOUT A RESPONSE FROM THE GLIDER DEVELOPERS.

Perhaps it’s time for Corona Labs to protect developers and removed them from the 3rd party resource list.

When Glider2 was released, I was in routine contact with a developer. I don’t know what happened.

I switched to Sublime but I like the debugger in Glider.  I think the issue with Glider freezing is with the editor.  I stopped editing in Glider and just use it to debug and it doesn’t freeze (at least not yet).

For all users with performance problems and freezes, try this:

Update your java to the current version, which you can get from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

You have to look after “jdk-7u79-macosx-x64.dmg” for mac.

Install it.

Make sure you can find the installation under /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_79.jdk/

Open the LuaGliderV2.app package and navigate to /Contents/Resources/luaglider2/etc

open luaglider2.conf and paste the jdkhome path. Your config file should look like this now:

# ${HOME} will be replaced by user home directory according to platform default\_userdir="${HOME}/luaglider2/dev" default\_mac\_userdir="${HOME}/Library/Application Support/luaglider2/dev" # options used by the launcher by default, can be overridden by explicit # command line switches default\_options=" --branding luaglider2 -J-Xms64m -J-Xmx512m -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -J-Xverify:none -J-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=225m -J-XX:+UseCompressedOops -J-Dswing.bufferPerWindow=false -J-Dapple.awt.fullscreencapturealldisplays=false -J-Dcom.apple.mrj.application.live-resize=false -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -J-Dapple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz=true -J-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true " # for development purposes you may wish to append: -J-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true -J-ea # default location of JDK/JRE, can be overridden by using --jdkhome \<dir\> switch jdkhome="/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0\_79.jdk/Contents/Home" # clusters' paths separated by path.separator (semicolon on Windows, colon on Unices) #extra\_clusters= &nbsp;

For me, all problems are gone after this little tweak.

I tried a lot of other IDEs but glider is by far the best one for corona developing, because of his debugging features. But of course it is not perfect as it is just a adapted IDE, and netbeans is may not the best basis anyway. If you came from xcode etc you will miss the perfection very hard. But programming lua is a lot more fun to me, and so I finally came to terms with glider.

To say, it is useless for serious developers, is simply nonsense IMO.

happy coding!

Thank you for your tips Sunmils! Have you by any chance tried out the newer versions of Java 8 performance? We are split between packaging Java 7 vs Java 8 and it totally depends on which one is more performant and stable. Happy to hear that Java issues are finally settling down for mac.

We will be pushing out a new round of maintenance updates for Glider and getting the JVM tuned properly is one of the highest priorities. Thanks for your support.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Glider works well for me since the change to the above mentioned version, so I had no reason to try other versions. Never touch a running system :slight_smile:

@sunmils,

Ok no problem. Thank you for the feedback!

Regards,

M.Y. Developers