Setting up Apple TV for development

Should I have a second Apple TV for developing against or is it typical to work against the one you have for every day use?

Well in my case I just have the one. We don’t use it very much for TV purposes, but it’s on the main family TV so I feel guilty when I need to commandeer it for a while or plan my time around when no one is watching TV.  But I can always take it off of the main TV and bring it into the office if I’m going to be doing a lot of work on it.

So I guess my answer would be how much does development impact viewing? If it’s a lot, get two.

Rob

Sorry, my question was more about how turning a regular Apple TV into a development Apple TV affects the normal operations, apps etc, of the device, rather than people’s use. Does it affect the device interface in a way which would cause non-dev confusion or even place a risk on it in a way that developing with iOS doesn’t?

@horacebury,

My answer is, “No it won’t cause an issue for non-developers, and IMHO doesn’t affect usability of device for day-to-day use.”

Exceptions:

• You will have an app icon or two that your non-developers may decided to ‘click’/run.  
  • If you AppleTV is in a cabinet or otherwise hard to access, getting new content on it may be hard, but that is a logistics issue for you to decide on.

So, just the same as developing against iOS. Cool, thanks guys.

I’m thinking that developing with Corona will be a lot easier considering Live Builds.  :slight_smile:

Well in my case I just have the one. We don’t use it very much for TV purposes, but it’s on the main family TV so I feel guilty when I need to commandeer it for a while or plan my time around when no one is watching TV.  But I can always take it off of the main TV and bring it into the office if I’m going to be doing a lot of work on it.

So I guess my answer would be how much does development impact viewing? If it’s a lot, get two.

Rob

Sorry, my question was more about how turning a regular Apple TV into a development Apple TV affects the normal operations, apps etc, of the device, rather than people’s use. Does it affect the device interface in a way which would cause non-dev confusion or even place a risk on it in a way that developing with iOS doesn’t?

@horacebury,

My answer is, “No it won’t cause an issue for non-developers, and IMHO doesn’t affect usability of device for day-to-day use.”

Exceptions:

• You will have an app icon or two that your non-developers may decided to ‘click’/run.  
  • If you AppleTV is in a cabinet or otherwise hard to access, getting new content on it may be hard, but that is a logistics issue for you to decide on.

So, just the same as developing against iOS. Cool, thanks guys.

I’m thinking that developing with Corona will be a lot easier considering Live Builds.  :slight_smile: