Share data between windows apps

I remember it was possible to share (send/receive) data between two swf without writing files (it was in memory).
Is it also possible between two Windows desktop app?

Hi.

Assuming you can treat your data as a string–using something like JSON, say–the clipboard might be the easiest way.

If you need more sophistication, things get hairier:slight_smile:

I explored this direction a bit (following this), but never made it too far. I got pipes sort of working, though not very reliably, then briefly went looking into shared memory: POCO’s version, but Boost.Interprocess is also available, and I’m sure others as well. It’s perfectly doable, but there’s a lot to get right!

Luapower also has a mmap module. I haven’t submitted my luaffifb plugin yet, but ideally it would make that available. (Before submission I want to survey various FFI-based projects in the wild–Luapower itself has quite a lot–and get a feel for its overall compatibility with LuaJIT. Just haven’t sat down to do it. I don’t mind handing out the DLL or dylib, though.)

Something like ZeroMQ or Nanomsg might fit the bill as well; I don’t know. Now that native is available to everyone, maybe a plugin will happen? (There’s at least some interest.)

UPDATE : I just found luaipc as well.

Thanks! By the way what you just found sounds very interesting :slight_smile:

Hi.

Assuming you can treat your data as a string–using something like JSON, say–the clipboard might be the easiest way.

If you need more sophistication, things get hairier:slight_smile:

I explored this direction a bit (following this), but never made it too far. I got pipes sort of working, though not very reliably, then briefly went looking into shared memory: POCO’s version, but Boost.Interprocess is also available, and I’m sure others as well. It’s perfectly doable, but there’s a lot to get right!

Luapower also has a mmap module. I haven’t submitted my luaffifb plugin yet, but ideally it would make that available. (Before submission I want to survey various FFI-based projects in the wild–Luapower itself has quite a lot–and get a feel for its overall compatibility with LuaJIT. Just haven’t sat down to do it. I don’t mind handing out the DLL or dylib, though.)

Something like ZeroMQ or Nanomsg might fit the bill as well; I don’t know. Now that native is available to everyone, maybe a plugin will happen? (There’s at least some interest.)

UPDATE : I just found luaipc as well.

Thanks! By the way what you just found sounds very interesting :slight_smile: