Should I upload .APK or .AAB?

It seems like a basic question, I looked around but can’t find definitive answer to this. With the new build system, it generates both an APK and an AAB file. Should one should we be uploading to Google Play? the new AAB file? 

It seems like AAB is the one to use. But want to be sure. 

Thanks!

Aab seems to result in smaller downloads for end users. Make sure to use latest daily build.

Will give it a try. Thanks!

To add on to Vlad’s response, the .APK’s are now a little larger than they were because we have to include both 32-bit and 64-bit support. The .aab files are unsigned because Google wants to be responsible for signing. Some developers want to maintain their own keystores which would require uploading .apk files.

But once you do the Google signing thing, it’s not that scary and you may as well make life easier on your customers by letting them have smaller downloads and get rid of that annoying “This app is not optimized” warning.

Rob

i tried it today … it works great…

in playstore you can browse only for apk files if you want to upload this file only, but to upload both files you just need to drag and drop both of them from file system to play console instead of clicking browse for file, and they will be accepted … and file size will be reduced … i guess everyone knows that but just wanted to confirm that

Aab seems to result in smaller downloads for end users. Make sure to use latest daily build.

Will give it a try. Thanks!

To add on to Vlad’s response, the .APK’s are now a little larger than they were because we have to include both 32-bit and 64-bit support. The .aab files are unsigned because Google wants to be responsible for signing. Some developers want to maintain their own keystores which would require uploading .apk files.

But once you do the Google signing thing, it’s not that scary and you may as well make life easier on your customers by letting them have smaller downloads and get rid of that annoying “This app is not optimized” warning.

Rob

i tried it today … it works great…

in playstore you can browse only for apk files if you want to upload this file only, but to upload both files you just need to drag and drop both of them from file system to play console instead of clicking browse for file, and they will be accepted … and file size will be reduced … i guess everyone knows that but just wanted to confirm that