Should I use Coronium Ace ?

I am planning on making a turn-based multiplayer game.

I am considering using coronium ace in my app

But I have some concerns:

1- Why should I use it rather than more developed(mature) services like gamesparks ?

2- What ensures me that the service will stay stable and not suddenly shut down ?

3- If the service shuts down that means that I will have to rewrite my whole code to use it in another service or will their be some kind of solution ?

Hi,

1. A lot depends on how many extraneous features your game needs and whether you want to use Lua as the scripting for the backend. Ace is still in early beta so if you’re wanting to get started right now then you might prefer GameSparks. In my opinion Ace has a lower overall learning curve, but does not have all the fancy form based administration that GameSparks has. Ace also has only a minimum of features to get a multiplayer game running.

2. There is nothing to ensure the service could eventually shut down, but it would not shut down suddenly. The plan is for long term usage for my own projects, so I am not looking for it to shut down, and it’s low cost to operate. Of course GameSparks was purchased by Amazon, so they will be around for the long term.

3. With any service you choose, you would need to rewrite your code if they decided to shut down.

Coronium Ace should be open for public beta very shortly, so you are free to try it out and see if it does what you need. There is a free plan, and the plugin is free as well.

Hope that helps.

-dev

My ISP decided I was using too much bandwidth and forced crazy caching rules on my game.  Internet-enabled games and caching do not work well together!  Especially when they ignore host headers and give everyone the same response!

So I was forced down the dedicated server route.

Nothing is a given in mobile dev.

@SGS - Sounds like one of those good “problems” to have.  :wink:

-dev

Well yes and no… at the time it was f**king awful.  Because my host forced draconian varnish rules (which ignored host headers and querystrings) all my players received a cached response so they all loaded the same data!

The window was only 3 hours luckily but the fallout took a week to solve and damage was definitely done.  500+ emails per day from irate paying customers was not my happy place.

One tech’s “oh that website is crazy busy let’s force caching on it” was unbelievable!  Not it wasn’t a website it was a game backend.

It cost me thousands of $ in goodwill refunds :frowning:

My new dedicated happy does TB’s a month without breaking a sweat so eventually all is good.  It was a hard lesson learned for sure

Hi,

1. A lot depends on how many extraneous features your game needs and whether you want to use Lua as the scripting for the backend. Ace is still in early beta so if you’re wanting to get started right now then you might prefer GameSparks. In my opinion Ace has a lower overall learning curve, but does not have all the fancy form based administration that GameSparks has. Ace also has only a minimum of features to get a multiplayer game running.

2. There is nothing to ensure the service could eventually shut down, but it would not shut down suddenly. The plan is for long term usage for my own projects, so I am not looking for it to shut down, and it’s low cost to operate. Of course GameSparks was purchased by Amazon, so they will be around for the long term.

3. With any service you choose, you would need to rewrite your code if they decided to shut down.

Coronium Ace should be open for public beta very shortly, so you are free to try it out and see if it does what you need. There is a free plan, and the plugin is free as well.

Hope that helps.

-dev

My ISP decided I was using too much bandwidth and forced crazy caching rules on my game.  Internet-enabled games and caching do not work well together!  Especially when they ignore host headers and give everyone the same response!

So I was forced down the dedicated server route.

Nothing is a given in mobile dev.

@SGS - Sounds like one of those good “problems” to have.  :wink:

-dev

Well yes and no… at the time it was f**king awful.  Because my host forced draconian varnish rules (which ignored host headers and querystrings) all my players received a cached response so they all loaded the same data!

The window was only 3 hours luckily but the fallout took a week to solve and damage was definitely done.  500+ emails per day from irate paying customers was not my happy place.

One tech’s “oh that website is crazy busy let’s force caching on it” was unbelievable!  Not it wasn’t a website it was a game backend.

It cost me thousands of $ in goodwill refunds :frowning:

My new dedicated happy does TB’s a month without breaking a sweat so eventually all is good.  It was a hard lesson learned for sure