Should this depress me?

While we listen to the crickets in this sub-forum or spend time chasing widget bugs in others, these folks seem to be cashing in with their template based app-generators… http://www.biznessapps.com/

At first glance it appeared to be a cookie cutter web based mobile app generator but then I noticed their promise to deliver native IOS or Android apps too. All for the princely sum of $59 per month. Now how and why would we ever want to compete with that? How do they even do it? I am curious to say the least about their native app promise.

I do think the market for mobile business apps is definitely viable and lucrative one if you can make the connections and get the contracts but it makes me wonder what the long term expectations might be. And lets face it… While we are trying to get our platform matters in order the world is spinning by.

Is it a lost battle already?

How do you know they are cashing in?

Do you know of any business that actually has one of their apps in the app store? 

I don’t see any reason why a business like this couldn’t be built using CoronaSDK.

They do have 25,000+ likes on FB…

Their apps are all hosted from the biz apps account…https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bizness-apps-inc./id383500483?mt=8

That’s how they charge a monthly fee, if they gave you the app, why would you continue to pay a monthly fee.

All the apps are basically a template…and not a very good one at that, ok I suppose if you don’t want to spend money on having a real app produced.

And 50+ staff working in their office… Quite a sizeable organization.

Not saying they are good apps. But they are apps. They put someone’s name out there on the mobile world. I can see how a small outfit might like the idea of doing it themselves using the templates and have it hosted all for a small monthly fee. 

How do you know they are cashing in?

Do you know of any business that actually has one of their apps in the app store? 

I don’t see any reason why a business like this couldn’t be built using CoronaSDK.

They do have 25,000+ likes on FB…

Their apps are all hosted from the biz apps account…https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bizness-apps-inc./id383500483?mt=8

That’s how they charge a monthly fee, if they gave you the app, why would you continue to pay a monthly fee.

All the apps are basically a template…and not a very good one at that, ok I suppose if you don’t want to spend money on having a real app produced.

And 50+ staff working in their office… Quite a sizeable organization.

Not saying they are good apps. But they are apps. They put someone’s name out there on the mobile world. I can see how a small outfit might like the idea of doing it themselves using the templates and have it hosted all for a small monthly fee. 

On a 2011 hackathon, we worked on a similar idea. Several others have thought of that but that company executed the idea extremely well.

There are different tiers of clients, and the businesses who are happy with that app won’t pay $2K for a small app. And the guys who pay $5K - $10K+ won’t be happy with an app that costs them $59.

It’s like a business who orders a “fill in the blanks” brochure for their business vs working with a graphic designer. The former won’t pay the prices of the latter, and the latter won’t be satisfied with the results of the former.

I *think* there are more businesses out there looking for cheap, but I know the others exist. The ones looking for quality (probably) won’t give the $59 a month guys a second glance.

So don’t be depressed. Unless your target market is the low end. In which case, yeah. :wink:

Jay

PS - I know what kind of app my local ad agencies pitch to their clients. I’ve given some thought to making a shell (I think I could do it a weekend) and then offer a $399 app in my local market. Choose colors, choose among these possible pages, etc. Small number of choices. Throw in the content they provide, do a build, and it’s done. Two hours, tops. And I’d outsource the build to one of my kids. Now that I’m thinking about it again, I’m going to have to ponder the idea…

PPS - In that above idea, I wouldn’t contact the end client – I’d only contact ad/marketing agencies. So that would be quick and easy to do.

I work in the business world with small business clients, although I’m trying to retire from that world. Most of them do not have any clue what an app is. Most of them have little time to find out or try various solutions. There are many companies besides the one mentioned here who do online app templates for a monthly fee or a publishing fee. The prices are outrageous in some case - running into hundreds of dollars or even thousands for some “platforms” and of course they are usually submitted under someone else’s developer license. 

Some are even doing “app marketing” (poorly for the most part) and charging a hefty additional fee for that. Not sure if I can mention a Corona competitor here but they had followed the Corona path for quite some time, then recently switched to open source code and a “marketing for you” and “done for you” plan for thousands of dollars. Apparently that didn’t work too well, as they are now back to a free version of their programming software and a “developer” version and have dropped the “done for you” sorts of plans.

Most small biz owners hire someone to do an app for them. They might dip their toes in the app world with a template site, but quickly find that the consumer exposure and traffic they were hoping for is pretty non existent. Larger companies usually leave the app world up to their marketing company. 

Several sites are cashing in on the “News Stand” rush, again charging thousands of dollars for publications. They generally charge per device, per NewsStand issue, with an average price of $500 ish (times each store per issue). They do nothing more than a $50/month Adobe CC membership that includes the DPS App Builder license. And quite frankly, even though I don’t like Adobe, churning out NewsStand periodicals with  InDesigns and other tools is a piece of cake.

If you’re after the money, I would actually recommend templating a NewsStand model. Business owners understand that. They don’t understand what the heck an app is or how it can work for them. They don’t have a clear idea of what they would even want to do and customer support becomes a nightmare, and their goals of increased customer engagement are rarely met. Couple that with strong, well established competitors and your chances of success doing app templates drops considerably.

J.A. Whyte has a sound idea and if you add periodical publishing to it, go after the marketing and advertising companies that handle small and mid sized business groups, you could do very well. But beating the bushes for individual owners would be time consuming and probably not cost effective. Even the big publishers in the book world are using the App Stores as a loss leader and are there merely to maintain a presence. When that presence is combined as part of an overall digital marketing plan, low download numbers in an App store are offset with good results in other areas and the customer has such low App expectations that everyone goes home happy.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth half of that. 

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. Very insightful. 

On a 2011 hackathon, we worked on a similar idea. Several others have thought of that but that company executed the idea extremely well.

There are different tiers of clients, and the businesses who are happy with that app won’t pay $2K for a small app. And the guys who pay $5K - $10K+ won’t be happy with an app that costs them $59.

It’s like a business who orders a “fill in the blanks” brochure for their business vs working with a graphic designer. The former won’t pay the prices of the latter, and the latter won’t be satisfied with the results of the former.

I *think* there are more businesses out there looking for cheap, but I know the others exist. The ones looking for quality (probably) won’t give the $59 a month guys a second glance.

So don’t be depressed. Unless your target market is the low end. In which case, yeah. :wink:

Jay

PS - I know what kind of app my local ad agencies pitch to their clients. I’ve given some thought to making a shell (I think I could do it a weekend) and then offer a $399 app in my local market. Choose colors, choose among these possible pages, etc. Small number of choices. Throw in the content they provide, do a build, and it’s done. Two hours, tops. And I’d outsource the build to one of my kids. Now that I’m thinking about it again, I’m going to have to ponder the idea…

PPS - In that above idea, I wouldn’t contact the end client – I’d only contact ad/marketing agencies. So that would be quick and easy to do.

I work in the business world with small business clients, although I’m trying to retire from that world. Most of them do not have any clue what an app is. Most of them have little time to find out or try various solutions. There are many companies besides the one mentioned here who do online app templates for a monthly fee or a publishing fee. The prices are outrageous in some case - running into hundreds of dollars or even thousands for some “platforms” and of course they are usually submitted under someone else’s developer license. 

Some are even doing “app marketing” (poorly for the most part) and charging a hefty additional fee for that. Not sure if I can mention a Corona competitor here but they had followed the Corona path for quite some time, then recently switched to open source code and a “marketing for you” and “done for you” plan for thousands of dollars. Apparently that didn’t work too well, as they are now back to a free version of their programming software and a “developer” version and have dropped the “done for you” sorts of plans.

Most small biz owners hire someone to do an app for them. They might dip their toes in the app world with a template site, but quickly find that the consumer exposure and traffic they were hoping for is pretty non existent. Larger companies usually leave the app world up to their marketing company. 

Several sites are cashing in on the “News Stand” rush, again charging thousands of dollars for publications. They generally charge per device, per NewsStand issue, with an average price of $500 ish (times each store per issue). They do nothing more than a $50/month Adobe CC membership that includes the DPS App Builder license. And quite frankly, even though I don’t like Adobe, churning out NewsStand periodicals with  InDesigns and other tools is a piece of cake.

If you’re after the money, I would actually recommend templating a NewsStand model. Business owners understand that. They don’t understand what the heck an app is or how it can work for them. They don’t have a clear idea of what they would even want to do and customer support becomes a nightmare, and their goals of increased customer engagement are rarely met. Couple that with strong, well established competitors and your chances of success doing app templates drops considerably.

J.A. Whyte has a sound idea and if you add periodical publishing to it, go after the marketing and advertising companies that handle small and mid sized business groups, you could do very well. But beating the bushes for individual owners would be time consuming and probably not cost effective. Even the big publishers in the book world are using the App Stores as a loss leader and are there merely to maintain a presence. When that presence is combined as part of an overall digital marketing plan, low download numbers in an App store are offset with good results in other areas and the customer has such low App expectations that everyone goes home happy.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth half of that. 

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. Very insightful.