Simulator won't run on a Radeon Vega 8

I’ve just gotten a HP Envy x360 with a Ryzen 5 2500U processor, which has integrated Radeon Vega 8 Mobile graphics. The processor is a quad core 2GHz with whatever AMD calls their hyperthreading (so 8 logical cores) and the integrated graphics has 256MB dedicated memory though presumably also has access to system memory, so theoretically has 8GB to play with. Currently running Windows 10 and both Windows and the graphics driver are up to date.

It’s a touchscreen so I was hoping to stick Corona SDK on and use the simulator directly. Until now I’ve been coding on one machine and using Dropbox to sync to a Surface for testing, which can be a tad laggy sometimes.

To the point, I can’t seem to get the simulator to open. The console opens, waits a while, then spits out “The stdin connection has closed” and if I try a second time it tells me “Corona simulator crashed last time it was run”.

I recall having this problem before, when trying to get the simulator to run in a Virtualbox environment with GNU/Linux as the host. I decided in the end that it must have been because Virtualbox can only expose 256MB of video graphics to the guest O/S, as the card on that machine was a dual core 2GB Nvidia so should have been plenty “beast enough”.

Is it the 256MB that’s an issue, or should Corona run fine on this set-up? Has anybody else had trouble like this with Radeon Vega 8 or Ryzen processors? Am I just barking up the wrong tree and there’s some other fault?

Much appreciated.

What being written to your event log?  That might indicate where the fault is.

Never mind. Restarting somehow fixed this… I’ll always be baffled by Windows’ need to be restarted every 20 minutes!

What being written to your event log?  That might indicate where the fault is.

Never mind. Restarting somehow fixed this… I’ll always be baffled by Windows’ need to be restarted every 20 minutes!