Solar2D Build function for iPadPro? iOS 14 may have Xcode?

Although still a rumor, John Prosser leaked that Apple is bringing many apps to the iPadPro, including XCode: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/04/29/why-apple-may-bring-xcode-to-the-ipad-and-what-it-has-to-do

What would be involved in bringing Solar2D to run natively on iPadPro?

@troylyndon - I take it you mean running the Solar2D simulator, including the ability to build?

If that is the question, I’d say it sounds like a non-starter. Still Vlad will have to decide this ultimately.

IMHO, the iOS OS is not really suited to editor style apps. Not to mention peripherals which are a bit limited for a iPadPro.

I can see people getting excited about this if they’ve already spent the coin on an iPadPro and want to save money by ditching the future need for a desktop, but for most (Apple) folks it will still be better to use a Mac.

Still, iOS will continue to change and mature, so I’m sure this will all be possible and easier later when they get their tools and libraries chains worked out.

2 Likes

Even if this rumor is true for Xcode, I suspect Apple will easily allow other tools just like that. It would probably take some time before they let other developers publish their tools.