Solar2D Windows install binaries flagged by Anti-Virus

Hello all,

Solar2D Windows 2020.3600.msi (a) flagged by and (b) auto-magically removed by anti-virus McAfee on Windows 10 PC. Please see below screenshot. However, the Threat ID “genericRXIK-NY!70DE6101A182” cannot be found on McAfee website nor “goggled” to provide more detailed information.

Anyone has any idea if this flagged event by McAfee is valid? What are some of the next possible steps would you recommend?

Thank you.
Luan

(https://github.com/coronalabs/corona/releases/download/3600/Solar2D-Windows-2020.3600.msi)

Does it only occur with build 3600? Have you tried any of the previous builds?

1 Like

Very good question.

I have been using legacy Corona distributions, so far. 2020.3600 is the first new Solar2D install.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thank you.
Regards, Luan

Have you tried installing an older Solar2D version?

As per advice. I have just tried them now. It is the same with 2020.3599, 2020.3598 and even 2020.3601. They have all been flagged by McAfee.

So, I configured McAfee to “exclude from scanner” these Solar2D installer binaries. But the installation failed abruptly with error box with message “Corona Setup Wizard ended prematurely”.

There does not seem to have a lot of logs or clues to go on from here. I guess I will postpone the upgrade (from legacy Corona to newer Solar2D) for now.

Thank you for your time.
Luan

You may want to open up an issue on GitHub for this. I don’t think it will silently go away. @vlads could use that information to fix the problem.

Thanks. I’ll send false alarm report.

2 Likes

I have managed to successfully installed my first Solar2D, 2020.3601 on Windows 10 Home Edition, after multiple failed attempts.

During the process, not sure if it is related to McAfee anti-virus, “lua.dll” is missing after installation. I need to manually copy it into the installed folder. Subsequently, I manage to confirm that “lua.dll” has been flagged as a “threat” and removed by McAfee. I configured “Do Not Scan These” on McAfee, as a work-around. The simulator runs fine.

However, building simple test code into Android gives “Build Error #1”. There was no problem with building into windows “exe” or web “html”.

Please see related thread on this “Build Error #1”,
https://forums.solar2d.com/t/build-error-1-plugins/351763/8#

Thank you all.

PS. I have emailed to McAfee of all these possible “false positives” or “false alarms” but have yet to hear from them.

While I have yet to hear back from McAfee, I have now confirmed multiple times that McAfee anti-virus would auto remove “lua.dll” whenever it encounters, whether it is Solar2D releases 2020.3601 or 2020.3600.

If you have McAfee on the PC, you have to locate all the “lua.dll” in your “Solar2D” folder, as well as all the Windows “exe” build folder, and flag to McAfee as “Do Not Scan These Files”.

I hope this helps. Thank you.

I just encountered this with something called Cisco AMP and I can’t change anything with this product because I don’t control this machine. :frowning: It flagged both lua.dll and template.zip. Both removed and now I can’t use the simulator on this machine. I don’t think there is anything I can do about it other than use a different machine.

will any lua.dll work? maybe I can grab one from a normal lua install and move it over.

I randomly picked some older version of the download 3607 and installed it and it didn’t get flagged so far. fingers are crossed.

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Corona Labs\Corona

08/01/2020 04:09 PM 199,000 lua.dll
1 File(s) 199,000 bytes

How is this one different from the one packaged with 3622 I don’t know.