[SOLVED] Corona Viewer syncing project never completes

Sorry, I’ve been away on a vacation with limited access to the Internet.

1. iOS has been causing problems for sure. I’ve not tested on Android. We just test directly on the device there. (We wouldn’t even need CoronaViewer if my development team all had Macs, but unfortunately, they have PCs.)

2. It did go away after the first “fix” around Jan 7th.  April 8 does seem to be about the time it stopped working again.

3. These are the same devices. We’ve got: iPhone 6, iPad Mini (1st gen), iPad Mini (3rd gen), iPhone 5S

4. We are calling require on code in a subdirectory. The file structure is not flat, but it hasn’t been flat since the beginning of the project.

Everything is fine in the Simulator and when I build for the device directly. 

I don’t know about removing CoronaViewer from our dropbox after linking it… I’m not sure why that would happen, but I will check for that as well.

Thanks,

Dave

I’m having the same issue.  I’m updating files in my Dropbox / CoronaViewer / Apps directory and with my app running on my iPhone6 it used to say “Syncing…” with an activity indicator.  Now it does nothing!  There are no code errors displayed in the console while running the app in the simulator.  A resolution to this would be very helpful!  Thanks.  -Keith

antkmk, your Corona project should be in Dropbox** /Apps/CoronaViewer, not Dropbox / CoronaViewer / Apps. Ensure your project is in  Dropbox **/Apps/CoronaViewer  as CoronaViewer doesn’t recognize anything other than this directory.

As a sanity check, which version of CoronaSDK or Enterprise have you guys been having this issue with? If it’s not the latest daily build, give that a try as I’m not able to reliably reproduce this issue on builds greater than 2602.

While CoronaViewer is a plugin, changes to the Corona core can affect the behavior of plugins as well.

ajaymccaleb-work,

Thanks for your reply!  My directory structure is as you outlined above.  I simply typed it backwards!  My version of Corona is v2015.2561.  I will look for a later daily build and let you know how that works.  Would I need to rebuild and re-iinstall CoronaViewer with the later build?

The latest I tried was 2605. I’ll get the latest daily build and try again.

I’ve upgraded to v2015.2625.  Rebuilt the CoronaViewer app.  Reinstalled in on my iPhone 6.  Relaunched it.  It asked to access my Dropbox, which I affirmed.  It then went to a black screen and said “syncing…”  After 5 minutes the phone screen turned off.  I re-entered my passcode, found a black screen with green battery at the top right where the menu bar is, but no “syncing…” message.  I left it alone, but kept  checking from time to time.  Still a black screen.  After about an hour I quit it and relaunched it.  Back to a black screen with no syncing message!  Am I missing a step?  I remember this being a pretty straightforward process only three to four weeks ago.

After milling through a more specific set of tests based on the new info you guys have given me, I was able to reproduce an issue that’s consistent with dave.hayes’ project calling require in subfolders, so a bug report will be filed for that.

As for antkmk, I’ll need some more info to see if your issue is the same or not. So, antkmk, a couple questions.

1. Does your project also call require on code in a subdirectory?

2. Did you see any errors in the device log when you built against 2561 of the Corona Simulator? Same question with 2625?

If calling require on code in a subdirectory is in fact the issue, you should an error like this in the device log,

Apr 28 12:44:21 iPhone-6-Plus-iOS-81 CoronaViewer[12362] \<Warning\>: Runtime error module 'subfolder.subblah' not found:resource (subfolder.subblah.lu) does not exist in archive no field package.preload['subfolder.subblah'] no file '/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/14BFBD79-DC4D-4FD1-A9E7-30AE45AD7385/Documents/.CoronaViewer/subfolder/subblah.lua' no file './subfolder/subblah.so' no file '/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/92FD9489-BA71-4A01-9ADE-A609C86477C8/CoronaViewer.app/subfolder/subblah.so' no file './subfolder.so' no file '/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/92FD9489-BA71-4A01-9ADE-A609C86477C8/CoronaViewer.app/subfolder.so'subfolder.subblah stack traceback: [C]: ? [C]: in function 'require' ?: in function 'require' /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/14BFBD79-DC4D-4FD1-A9E7-30AE45AD7385/Documents/.CoronaViewer/main.lua:37: in main chunk [C]: in function 'run' /Users/ajaymccaleb/Desktop/CoronaLabs/CoronaViewer/main.lua:3: in main chunk

antkmk, if your issue is in fact different, please submit a bug report and include the code for your project so we can take a deeper look.

dave.haynes, as another sanity check please take a look at the device log for your project running through viewer and post if you have any errors that are different than the above.

Sorry for the late reply, and sorry for not checking the device log sooner as well.

I do, in fact, see the error you’re describing:

Apr 28 16:00:28 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[1941] \<Warning\>: Runtime error module 'scripts.utils' not found:resource (scripts.utils.lu) does not exist in archive no field package.preload['scripts.utils'] no file '/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/0FCECB8B-65AC-4CF6-838E-D3DB0FE01D81/Documents/.CoronaViewer/scripts/utils.lua' no file './scripts/utils.so' no file '/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/3B5C9FF2-9679-4A87-9703-6A073BD197C4/CoronaViewer.app/scripts/utils.so' no file './scripts.so' no file '/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/3B5C9FF2-9679-4A87-9703-6A073BD197C4/CoronaViewer.app/scripts.so'scripts.utils stack traceback: [C]: ? [C]: in function 'require' ?: in function 'require' /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/0FCECB8B-65AC-4CF6-838E-D3DB0FE01D81/Documents/.CoronaViewer/main.lua:57: in main chunk [C]: in function 'run' ?: in main chunk

Dave

First, yes, I am “requiring” from and to subfolders, but only in my actual app code, not from CoronaViewer.

Is it possible that requiring the zip plugin:  local zip = require( “plugin.zip” ).  Is causing an issue?  I do require that from CoronaViewer and from my app code.

In any case, I do not see any errors when looking at the Corona Simulator Console -syslog when building the CoronaViewer.  I’m not getting the error you’ve listed above.  Is this the correct place to look for this error?

Also, building my app for running in the simulator is not producing any errors either.

antkmk, you should be looking at the log from your iOS device. To get to this, do the following:

1. Open Xcode on your machine (assuming you have it. If not, download it from the App store).

2. From here, press cmd + shift + 2 to open Xcode organizer

3. Select your connected device and you should see the log for the device in the lower right.

Thank you for the Xcode steps!  I hadn’t been using that to debug.

So, yes, my issue seems to be the same as Dave’s.  Below is the output from the device log and because I have a subdirectory of utilities for common objects (titlebar, tabar) the CoronaViewer is crashing.  Thanks for helping uncover the issue.  Please let us know when this is solved or if there is a way to work around it.  Cheers! -Keith

Apr 29 08:06:08 One-Bad-Ant-iPhone6 CoronaViewer-master[552] <Warning>: Runtime error

module ‘utilities.titleBarView’ not found:resource (utilities.titleBarView.lu) does not exist in archive

no field package.preload[‘utilities.titleBarView’]

no file ‘/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/7ACE1EE7-34F9-4595-94D4-0611D16614ED/Documents/.CoronaViewer/utilities/titleBarView.lua’

no file ‘./utilities/titleBarView.so’

no file ‘/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/EF794E9C-0F3B-4F7D-9C19-52C502D269EC/CoronaViewer-master.app/utilities/titleBarView.so’

no file ‘./utilities.so’

no file '/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/EF794E9C-0F3B-4F7D-9C19-52C502D269EC/CoronaViewer-master.app/utilities.so’utilities.titleBarView

stack traceback:

C: in function ‘error’

?: in function ‘gotoScene’

/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/7ACE1EE7-34F9-4595-94D4-0611D16614ED/Documents/.CoronaViewer/main.lua:16: in main chunk

C: in function ‘run’

/Users/keithkub/Documents/OBA App Development/Corona Viewer/CoronaViewer-master/main.lua:4: in main chunk

No problem. It’s a high priority issue for us so a fix should come sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, you guys should be able to use a daily build older than 2603 of the simulator to be unblocked while we solve the issue.

antkmk, you had mentioned that you began having sync problems around build 2561. That seems like a separate issue than this one, but that can be addressed later (assuming you’re still having problem after this issue with subfolders is fixed).

As another piece of general advice after looking at your crash log, using spaces in path names for anything related to programming is generally bad practice. From my own experience (not necessarily with Corona), spaces in path names can lead to very obscure bugs that you’ll burn a lot of time trying to resolve.

UPDATE:

While looking into this issue, we were able to reproduce the initial case that dave.haynes started this post about. If a file from Dropbox fails to load, then it’s possible you’ll get into a state where sync’ing never completes as viewer will continue trying to load that file until it succeeds.

Addressing this implementation oversight will come immediately after fixing this subfolder issue.

This issue with the subfolders has been resolved and the fix is live. You guys should be able to grab any build of the simulator 2015.2603 or greater and use CoronaViewer.

If you’re using Enterprise, the updated plugin binaries will come in the next daily build (2015.2626).

It’s working for me now.  Thank you!  -Keith

I can also confirm. It is working for me now as well. Thanks!

Hey, guys, we’re having trouble with CoronaViewer again. Has anything changed?  It finishes syncing now, but only shows a black screen. It’s happening on multiple devices, and all I did was rebuild it with the latest daily build.

Thanks,

Dave

We’re still having trouble with this.  Is Corona Viewer working for anyone?

I just rebuilt with the latest daily build to see if it would make a difference, even though I know it’s a plugin and you can fix things on your side… I figured it was worth a shot.  It still just sits on a black screen forever after it “finishes” syncing.

This is impacting my remote development team significantly.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We’re looking into recent changes to CoronaViewer and have a few clarification questions for you.

1. Are these issues still just on iOS, or is your team using CoronaViewer on Android as well?

2. Did your issue disappear after Jan 7th, and then come back (in slightly different form) on or near April 8th? Or was the situation something different?

3. Have you begun testing on any new devices since your original post in January?

4. Are you calling require on any lua code in a subdirectory? Or is the file structure for your project flat?

As an added note, if you guys aren’t already, you’ll want to test through CoronaViewer after verifying that what your testing is free of Lua runtime errors through the simulator. Per the CoronaViewer documentation:

Lua errors

If there are Lua runtime errors in your project, CoronaViewer will display a black screen. You should check your device console for error messages.

Furthermore, if you accidentally removed the /Apps/CoronaViewer from your Dropbox after linking CoronaViewer with your Dropbox, the CoronaViewer app would try to sync, and never finish; the problem you guys originally had.

Sorry, I’ve been away on a vacation with limited access to the Internet.

1. iOS has been causing problems for sure. I’ve not tested on Android. We just test directly on the device there. (We wouldn’t even need CoronaViewer if my development team all had Macs, but unfortunately, they have PCs.)

2. It did go away after the first “fix” around Jan 7th.  April 8 does seem to be about the time it stopped working again.

3. These are the same devices. We’ve got: iPhone 6, iPad Mini (1st gen), iPad Mini (3rd gen), iPhone 5S

4. We are calling require on code in a subdirectory. The file structure is not flat, but it hasn’t been flat since the beginning of the project.

Everything is fine in the Simulator and when I build for the device directly. 

I don’t know about removing CoronaViewer from our dropbox after linking it… I’m not sure why that would happen, but I will check for that as well.

Thanks,

Dave

I’m having the same issue.  I’m updating files in my Dropbox / CoronaViewer / Apps directory and with my app running on my iPhone6 it used to say “Syncing…” with an activity indicator.  Now it does nothing!  There are no code errors displayed in the console while running the app in the simulator.  A resolution to this would be very helpful!  Thanks.  -Keith