[SOLVED] Corona Viewer syncing project never completes

My 2 teammates and I have been using CoronaViewer quite a bit to quickly test something. It’s the only way they can really test on an iOS device since they have PCs.

Over the last month or so, CoronaViewer has stopped working for us.  It just sits on the “Syncing project…” screen forever. We’ve let it sit for 3 hours and it never finishes.

Connecting it to my Mac and looking at the device log shows this:

Jan  6 09:50:22 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Error>: assertion failed: 12B440: libxpc.dylib + 51947 [E83F44AC-48AF-3662-929E-FB7538661BB3]: 0x7d

Jan  6 09:50:22 Jamess-iPhone Unknown[6962] <Error>: 

Jan  6 09:50:23 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: Platform: iPhone / iPhone7,2 / 8.1.2 / Apple A8 GPU / OpenGL ES 2.0 Apple A8 GPU - 50.6.10 / 2015.2529

Jan  6 09:50:40 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: [FS observer] initial status(1455c760) completedFirstSync(0)

Jan  6 09:50:40 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: [FS observer] status(14542070) completedFirstSync(0)

Jan  6 09:50:40 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: [FS observer] status(14542070) completedFirstSync(0)

Jan  6 09:50:41 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: [FS recursive] status(146aa790) completedFirstSync(1)

Jan  6 09:50:41 Jamess-iPhone CoronaViewer[6962] <Warning>: [FS observer] status(146aa790) completedFirstSync(1)

And not much else. I’ve followed the advice from the Guide & Pitfalls to Avoid. And this was working previously. Now it’s not working for us. Could it be something to do with the whole 64-bit thing? I’m just spitballing. I have no idea.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or know of a way around it? I looked to see if there was anything new on github, but it looks like the CoronaViewer project hasn’t been updated since July 2014.

Our app builds fine and runs okay everywhere we’ve tried, except from within CoronaViewer.

Thanks,

Dave

There’s a number of things you can try. Ultimately, if the app is not completing the sync it’s because it’s failing to get the content it needs properly…

1. 4 finger tap and reset using the menu which will appear
  2. Force remove the Corona Viewer app from memory (double tap Home, swipe CoronaViewer up)
  3. Move the contents of the /Apps/CoronaViewer app out into another directory and put another, very simple app in it’s place.
  4. Hard reset (power+home buttons until Apple logo)
  5. Reinstall the CoronaViewer app (be sure to delete from device before installing again)
  6. Rebuild the app and reinstall (likewise, delete first then install) - make sure that your certificates are correct and that you are not using the same as for another app.

I’ve had success with all of these at various times. Usually, it’s just that the DropBox API needs a good kick into action.

I’m seeing the same problem as dave.haynes. The CoronaViewer App just gets stuck at Syncing project on iOS devices.

This only impacts a new build of CoronaViewer. I have a version that I built several months ago, installed on a different iOS device and it still works. If I build a new version of CoronaViewer and install is on an iOS device it never finishes syncing.

I’ve tried all the steps suggested by horacebury, plus others like building with different versions of CoronaSDK.

I have also rebuilt the same version of CoronaViewer for Android and it works OK.

Can anyone confirm that they have used a recent build of CoronaViewer for iOS and that it worked when installed on a device?

Thanks, horacebury, but I’ve tried all that already before I posted here.

I think elbowroomapps may be onto something.  It did stop working only after I rebuilt it. The one before that was working fine, but I had to rebuild it because I’m using features only available in a newer daily build.  That’s when it stopped working.  Keep in mind there are no errors anywhere or anything. It just will not sync.

I’d also like to know if anyone else has tried building a *new* CoronaViewer lately, and on which build.  

Does no one else use CoronaViewer with a newer daily build?

Try rebuilding. 

Rob

I thought I had the same problem, but it turned out that it was just because I have waaaaaaay too much files in my project. I did load in the end, but it took a long time - so long that I thought it stalled. I needed to clean up my project (remove a lot of Photoshop source files that were not necessary for my build) to improve things.

Try CoronaViewer with a really simple project to see where the problem lies - e.g. a single main.lua that creates a vector display object.

I did a rebuild of CoronaViewer and it is now working on iOS for me.

I assume something changed on the CoronaLabs side, since I had done many rebuilds before and it didn’t work.

CoronaViewer is a plugin.  We can change it on our side and you get the changes when you build.

There’s a number of things you can try. Ultimately, if the app is not completing the sync it’s because it’s failing to get the content it needs properly…

1. 4 finger tap and reset using the menu which will appear
  2. Force remove the Corona Viewer app from memory (double tap Home, swipe CoronaViewer up)
  3. Move the contents of the /Apps/CoronaViewer app out into another directory and put another, very simple app in it’s place.
  4. Hard reset (power+home buttons until Apple logo)
  5. Reinstall the CoronaViewer app (be sure to delete from device before installing again)
  6. Rebuild the app and reinstall (likewise, delete first then install) - make sure that your certificates are correct and that you are not using the same as for another app.

I’ve had success with all of these at various times. Usually, it’s just that the DropBox API needs a good kick into action.

I’m seeing the same problem as dave.haynes. The CoronaViewer App just gets stuck at Syncing project on iOS devices.

This only impacts a new build of CoronaViewer. I have a version that I built several months ago, installed on a different iOS device and it still works. If I build a new version of CoronaViewer and install is on an iOS device it never finishes syncing.

I’ve tried all the steps suggested by horacebury, plus others like building with different versions of CoronaSDK.

I have also rebuilt the same version of CoronaViewer for Android and it works OK.

Can anyone confirm that they have used a recent build of CoronaViewer for iOS and that it worked when installed on a device?

Thanks, horacebury, but I’ve tried all that already before I posted here.

I think elbowroomapps may be onto something.  It did stop working only after I rebuilt it. The one before that was working fine, but I had to rebuild it because I’m using features only available in a newer daily build.  That’s when it stopped working.  Keep in mind there are no errors anywhere or anything. It just will not sync.

I’d also like to know if anyone else has tried building a *new* CoronaViewer lately, and on which build.  

Does no one else use CoronaViewer with a newer daily build?

Try rebuilding. 

Rob

I thought I had the same problem, but it turned out that it was just because I have waaaaaaay too much files in my project. I did load in the end, but it took a long time - so long that I thought it stalled. I needed to clean up my project (remove a lot of Photoshop source files that were not necessary for my build) to improve things.

Try CoronaViewer with a really simple project to see where the problem lies - e.g. a single main.lua that creates a vector display object.

I did a rebuild of CoronaViewer and it is now working on iOS for me.

I assume something changed on the CoronaLabs side, since I had done many rebuilds before and it didn’t work.

CoronaViewer is a plugin.  We can change it on our side and you get the changes when you build.

Hey, guys, we’re having trouble with CoronaViewer again. Has anything changed?  It finishes syncing now, but only shows a black screen. It’s happening on multiple devices, and all I did was rebuild it with the latest daily build.

Thanks,

Dave

We’re still having trouble with this.  Is Corona Viewer working for anyone?

I just rebuilt with the latest daily build to see if it would make a difference, even though I know it’s a plugin and you can fix things on your side… I figured it was worth a shot.  It still just sits on a black screen forever after it “finishes” syncing.

This is impacting my remote development team significantly.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We’re looking into recent changes to CoronaViewer and have a few clarification questions for you.

1. Are these issues still just on iOS, or is your team using CoronaViewer on Android as well?

2. Did your issue disappear after Jan 7th, and then come back (in slightly different form) on or near April 8th? Or was the situation something different?

3. Have you begun testing on any new devices since your original post in January?

4. Are you calling require on any lua code in a subdirectory? Or is the file structure for your project flat?

As an added note, if you guys aren’t already, you’ll want to test through CoronaViewer after verifying that what your testing is free of Lua runtime errors through the simulator. Per the CoronaViewer documentation:

Lua errors

If there are Lua runtime errors in your project, CoronaViewer will display a black screen. You should check your device console for error messages.

Furthermore, if you accidentally removed the /Apps/CoronaViewer from your Dropbox after linking CoronaViewer with your Dropbox, the CoronaViewer app would try to sync, and never finish; the problem you guys originally had.