SSK2: Documentation error in secure_load

Ed,

I believe there is a small error in the documentation.

Page link: https://roaminggamer.github.io/RGDocs/pages/SSK2/extensions/

Subsection: Tables

secure_load( theTable, fileName [, base] ) Equivalent to load(), but uses ssk.security.* to obfuscate save.

I believe should read

secure_load( fileName [, base] ) Equivalent to load(), but uses ssk.security.* to obfuscate save.

For those who may arrive here via a forum search…

The line would be:

encodedTable = table.secure\_load("secure\_save\_data.json")

Cheers.

Graham

One extra question…

I’m using this feature to store login info so a user doesn’t have to login all the time. 

After I got it all working, I deleted my table to test -relogin, if you do a secure_load and the file doesn’t exist, you get a lua crash.

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:43: bad argument #1 to ‘pairs’ (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'pairs’

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:43: in function 'encode’

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:74: in function 'getKeyString’

Lights/ssk2/extensions/table.lua:256: in function 'secure_load’

Lights/mainLogin.lua:50: in function '?'

?: in function 'dispatchEvent’

?: in function '_nextTransition’

?: in function <?:1494>

?: in function 'gotoScene’

Lights/main.lua:18: in main chunk

I did try to circumvent it by putting a 'test = security.loadkey command, and I was going to check if test was false (so it the key isn’t there, I would assume the secure table wasn’t) but I noticed it doesn’t return a value either.

​While I can put in another few lines to check if the file exists I’d thought I’d mention it as returning nil on a non-existent file when using table.secure_load would be awesome :slight_smile:

** Edit 

I do see that you also have 

• exists( path ) - Returns true if the file at path exists. Returns false otherwise.

So this edit wrapped around it should work fine.

if ssk.files.util.exists(system.pathForFile( "setup.json", system.DocumentsDirectory )) == true then print( "File Exists" ) else print( "File missing" ) end &nbsp;

** Edit End

The code I use is pretty much your example, but to pre-empt the question should it be asked…

local security = ssk.security local encoded2 = {} test= security.loadKey( "key.json") encoded2 = table.secure\_load("setup.json") local decodedEmail = security.decode( encoded2.Email ) local decodedPw = security.decode( encoded2.Pw )

As an aside, credit to you. While it isn’t intended to be a huge security protocol, its a great way to store local information and deter the casual hacker. The usage is so easy (as you can see above)!

@graham07

1. Just fixed documentation error.

2. I missed your second post entirely.  I put this on my back burner and didn’t watch for updates to it since the title was about a docs bug.

Note: It is always better to post questions in their own threads.  That said, I think you got this all worked out. :slight_smile:

One extra question…

I’m using this feature to store login info so a user doesn’t have to login all the time. 

After I got it all working, I deleted my table to test -relogin, if you do a secure_load and the file doesn’t exist, you get a lua crash.

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:43: bad argument #1 to ‘pairs’ (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'pairs’

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:43: in function 'encode’

Lights/ssk2/security.lua:74: in function 'getKeyString’

Lights/ssk2/extensions/table.lua:256: in function 'secure_load’

Lights/mainLogin.lua:50: in function '?'

?: in function 'dispatchEvent’

?: in function '_nextTransition’

?: in function <?:1494>

?: in function 'gotoScene’

Lights/main.lua:18: in main chunk

I did try to circumvent it by putting a 'test = security.loadkey command, and I was going to check if test was false (so it the key isn’t there, I would assume the secure table wasn’t) but I noticed it doesn’t return a value either.

​While I can put in another few lines to check if the file exists I’d thought I’d mention it as returning nil on a non-existent file when using table.secure_load would be awesome :slight_smile:

** Edit 

I do see that you also have 

• exists( path ) - Returns true if the file at path exists. Returns false otherwise.

So this edit wrapped around it should work fine.

if ssk.files.util.exists(system.pathForFile( "setup.json", system.DocumentsDirectory )) == true then print( "File Exists" ) else print( "File missing" ) end &nbsp;

** Edit End

The code I use is pretty much your example, but to pre-empt the question should it be asked…

local security = ssk.security local encoded2 = {} test= security.loadKey( "key.json") encoded2 = table.secure\_load("setup.json") local decodedEmail = security.decode( encoded2.Email ) local decodedPw = security.decode( encoded2.Pw )

As an aside, credit to you. While it isn’t intended to be a huge security protocol, its a great way to store local information and deter the casual hacker. The usage is so easy (as you can see above)!

@graham07

1. Just fixed documentation error.

2. I missed your second post entirely.  I put this on my back burner and didn’t watch for updates to it since the title was about a docs bug.

Note: It is always better to post questions in their own threads.  That said, I think you got this all worked out. :slight_smile: