Starter question: how to use debug tool?

I added the break points and ran debug tool ‘debug main project’

Nothing happened. same as ‘Run main project’

Is there anything I need to do to activate the debug tool?

thanks.

Hello Honiebao,

Nothing happened.

By nothing happen do you mean the simulator did not start at all or it just failed to hit a breakpoint? A common cause of this is if there are non-ascii characters in the build path. You can easily change the build path like this:

http://view.xscreenshot.com/2853fcc968f5f9d05c12b19e151f0aa6

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

I am having the same issue where I try to debug the project and it ignores breakpoints as if they are not even there…  Is there any special setup to get breakpoints working (other than just clicking the line number)?

Hello Quillopuyol,

Are you using a Corona Daily build? Someone else had a similar problem and it turned out the daily build must have changed the file format reported by the lua debug library.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello Honiebao,

Nothing happened.

By nothing happen do you mean the simulator did not start at all or it just failed to hit a breakpoint? A common cause of this is if there are non-ascii characters in the build path. You can easily change the build path like this:

http://view.xscreenshot.com/2853fcc968f5f9d05c12b19e151f0aa6

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

I am having the same issue where I try to debug the project and it ignores breakpoints as if they are not even there…  Is there any special setup to get breakpoints working (other than just clicking the line number)?

Hello Quillopuyol,

Are you using a Corona Daily build? Someone else had a similar problem and it turned out the daily build must have changed the file format reported by the lua debug library.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

I think I have the same problem.

When I start the game with the debug button, I get those prints in the console :

binding to port 50723

listening on port 57023

connected

and then sometimes I get “program started” and sometimes I don’t.

When I get it, breakpoints work like a charm, but I have to spam the debug button or ctrl+r and prey to get the “program started” print in the console else the program run but ignores my breakpoints :frowning:

It seems to be really random…

Also each time I click on the debug run button, the simulator seems to perform a double launch, getting those prints 2 times. Maybe it’s preventing the program from being started because he is interrupted in the process ?

PS: I use windows and a stable free build of Corona so maybe the register popup at the start of the simulator disturbs the process ?

Hello David,

Please get the update via help-> check for updates and let us know if the problem still persists. We specifically addressed the connection issue.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

I updated via help-> check for updates and the problem still persists. I launch the project with debug button, sometimes I get the line program started, sometimes I don’t so when I need breakpoints and spam CTRL+R to relaunch the project until this line is printed :confused:

Hello David,

Which build of Corona are you using?

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello, I’m using version 1076, starter SDK

I ve just installed Lua glider and corona starter pack

The debugger does not stop at break points also I get the following message

cannot connect to localhost 8172

Hello Nijelc,

Which platform are you using? If you are on a mac we strongly suggest you redownload the dmg installer and try it again, we recently upgraded to Java 7u40.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

hi I am on windows

The debugger is now stopping at break points

when I start the debugger I get the following message in the windows simulator output window

binding to port 36890

listening to port 36890

connected 8172

could not connect to localhost

binding to port 36890

listening to port 36890

connected 8172

When debugging  if I add an in scope  table variable to the watch window, the variable type will say evaluating then nil

If i switch to the variables window, the same variable sometimes also says nil but sometimes shows the table variable in full

more simple variables such as integers are displaying correctly

I think I have the same problem.

When I start the game with the debug button, I get those prints in the console :

binding to port 50723

listening on port 57023

connected

and then sometimes I get “program started” and sometimes I don’t.

When I get it, breakpoints work like a charm, but I have to spam the debug button or ctrl+r and prey to get the “program started” print in the console else the program run but ignores my breakpoints :frowning:

It seems to be really random…

Also each time I click on the debug run button, the simulator seems to perform a double launch, getting those prints 2 times. Maybe it’s preventing the program from being started because he is interrupted in the process ?

PS: I use windows and a stable free build of Corona so maybe the register popup at the start of the simulator disturbs the process ?

Hello David,

Please get the update via help-> check for updates and let us know if the problem still persists. We specifically addressed the connection issue.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

I updated via help-> check for updates and the problem still persists. I launch the project with debug button, sometimes I get the line program started, sometimes I don’t so when I need breakpoints and spam CTRL+R to relaunch the project until this line is printed :confused:

Hello David,

Which build of Corona are you using?

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello, I’m using version 1076, starter SDK