Stitching TMX files together?

Real quick question that I could not find answered on the forums (apologize if it has already been covered)- how does MTE handle enormous worlds? EG: Tiled seems to have a max map size of 9999x9999 - what if I wanted a world that was larger than that? Would I somehow have to stitch multiple TMX files together? If so, does MTE handle situations like this or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Hello nate06,

The current release of MTE does not support the stitching of map files together. I’ll be introducing this and other new features as part of an upcoming engine rewrite. 

What scenario are you thinking of which would need such an enormous map, if you don’t mind my asking? Building such a map in Tiled would take a very long time. 

Well I suppose 9999x9999 was a bit of an extreme example since this Tiled will crash if you attempt to save a map this large; although just checking it seems OK with a 1000x1000 single layer map.

As for the reason for my question: I have had a 16-bit RPG project on the back burner for many years and would love to create a world that would take the player hours to go from one end to the other. And indeed it would take a very long time to design a world this large- my original thought was to use procedural generation for the base world and go in by hand adding additional elements.

Any rough guess on when you would plan on releasing these new features / rewrite?

I’m working on other features at the moment like a dynamic lighting system. After that I’ll take a day or two to add a handy perlin noise function to MTE, and then I’ll start into the new engine rewrite. My best guess for finishing the rewrite would be a few months from now, probably December or January. 

Awesome, thanks for the information! Best of luck :slight_smile:

Hello nate06,

The current release of MTE does not support the stitching of map files together. I’ll be introducing this and other new features as part of an upcoming engine rewrite. 

What scenario are you thinking of which would need such an enormous map, if you don’t mind my asking? Building such a map in Tiled would take a very long time. 

Well I suppose 9999x9999 was a bit of an extreme example since this Tiled will crash if you attempt to save a map this large; although just checking it seems OK with a 1000x1000 single layer map.

As for the reason for my question: I have had a 16-bit RPG project on the back burner for many years and would love to create a world that would take the player hours to go from one end to the other. And indeed it would take a very long time to design a world this large- my original thought was to use procedural generation for the base world and go in by hand adding additional elements.

Any rough guess on when you would plan on releasing these new features / rewrite?

I’m working on other features at the moment like a dynamic lighting system. After that I’ll take a day or two to add a handy perlin noise function to MTE, and then I’ll start into the new engine rewrite. My best guess for finishing the rewrite would be a few months from now, probably December or January. 

Awesome, thanks for the information! Best of luck :slight_smile:

Hi Dyson, 

Just bought MTE and I’m loving it.

This (old) thread is related to my question and I wanted to see if there was any update on this feature set. I am specifically interested in the procedural generation piece; i.e., is it possible for me to build a few dozen pre-fabricated tilemaps and reuse them in a random order to simulate an endless level?

thanks

Zach

Hello Zach,

I’m afraid map stitching ended up buried under all the other rewrite work I was doing at the time. I said I wasn’t going to be adding new features to the engine at this point, but as something I promised months ago I’ll definitely look into getting this done. Map stitching would be a rather fun and useful feature! I’ll have more information for you on this in a few days, after I’ve had time to investigate a few different options for implementation.

Cool! Still a great project. Big fan so far :wink:

Cheers

Hi Dyson, 

Just bought MTE and I’m loving it.

This (old) thread is related to my question and I wanted to see if there was any update on this feature set. I am specifically interested in the procedural generation piece; i.e., is it possible for me to build a few dozen pre-fabricated tilemaps and reuse them in a random order to simulate an endless level?

thanks

Zach

Hello Zach,

I’m afraid map stitching ended up buried under all the other rewrite work I was doing at the time. I said I wasn’t going to be adding new features to the engine at this point, but as something I promised months ago I’ll definitely look into getting this done. Map stitching would be a rather fun and useful feature! I’ll have more information for you on this in a few days, after I’ve had time to investigate a few different options for implementation.

Cool! Still a great project. Big fan so far :wink:

Cheers