Sudden Surge in Kindle Crashes

Starting about two weeks ago (send week of June), I started getting a big uptick in Kindle users complaining about one of my apps crashing. It went from months with no problems to having several players contact me every day. This wasn’t right after an update, and there doesn’t seem to be a common triggering event (being shown an ad, etc.), so I’m really stumped. Having the player reinstall the app seems to clear up the problem, but it’s not a great solution. Has anyone else had problems with the Kindle recently? Does anyone know if something changed on Amazon’s end?

What’s the name of your app? I may be able to download from store and try it out to see what’s wrong.

The app is called Word Search World Traveler.

You’re welcome to take a look, but the problem doesn’t seem to be effecting new installs, which is why having players reinstall the app clears up the issue. Also, 3-5 users per day is less than 1% of my Amazon DAUs, so this is clearly a weird corner case.

The strange thing is that it started happening all of a sudden, and not at a time when I’d made any change to the app. Some further digging has turned up that FireOS 5.6.6.0 was released in May 2020, so it could be that as some devices are updating to the new OS, it’s causing a problem for my app.