suddenly getting: system.deletePreference() function is not supported. Use the system.deletePreferences() function

In the last two days, I’ve run into a hang/problem starting the simulator on my Mac (Sierra).

Corona Simulator version 2017.3184 (2017.12.8) .  (@Rob…be sure to see penultimate paragraph, thanks.)

The problem: simulator hangs, and after awhile (30 seconds?) it displays a red error message in

the console window:

system.deletePreference() function is not supported. Use the system.deletePreferences() function 

and a pop-up that offers a choice between continuing or always continuing (IIRC).

Like the OP (see below), nothing in my code is using system.deletePreference.

“Nothing changed” in the last week, AFAIK, so this is really odd.  The Mac was rebooted 4 days ago,

and that’s probably when this started. 

(I try not to install Apple patches to macOS, and auto-update is off … I’m postponing doing some

more analysis of the impact of Spectre bug patches :slight_smile:

(I just noticed the problem doesn’t always show up at simulator start.)

Why / How do I resolve this?

Although this question was asked a few months ago, it was in the wrong forum, and Rob said he’d

move it to the correct (albeit unnamed) forum.  However, I could not find it via either a “Search Forums”

or via a google search of the site.  The original thread is at:

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/72354-systemdeletepreference-function-error/

I did search through the Corona /Library files, and there are no instances of “system.deletePreference”

other than in two example files.  There are about 5 instances in binary files, but I can’t tell if they’re

being used or not, or in what context the string appears.

thanks,

Stan

Are you using any plugins? Also 3194 is rather old. I don’t know where you’re planning on deploying too, but Google Play will require you to use 3326 or later. Apple will likely require some level of iOS 12 support soon.

Rob

You get that message when a plugin fails to download… The Corona AWS has been real laggy the past week.

@SGS thanks…that makes great sense.  It also reminds me that I may have one plugin nearly the 1 year mark.  (I’d hope the

corona plugin store would send me a “re-up” reminder,  but … I don’t know if it will).

Are you using any plugins? Also 3194 is rather old. I don’t know where you’re planning on deploying too, but Google Play will require you to use 3326 or later. Apple will likely require some level of iOS 12 support soon.

Rob

You get that message when a plugin fails to download… The Corona AWS has been real laggy the past week.

@SGS thanks…that makes great sense.  It also reminds me that I may have one plugin nearly the 1 year mark.  (I’d hope the

corona plugin store would send me a “re-up” reminder,  but … I don’t know if it will).