Suggestion for next/upcoming Corona Geek: Platformer using Tiled

I haven’t been able to watch the most recent episode yet so it’s possible that you already have something planned for next week. But whether it’s next week or next month, I would love to have a series around creating a platformer game using Corona. I have heard and read that platformer games are the easiest to create and yet I see almost nothing about them in the Corona community! I know MTE is not in active development and Dusk could use a little more maturing but I would love to see something using one of them. I certainly would be okay seeing a simpler Tile system too.

Update: I watched the most recent episode and learned that we are moving to an every other week format and that we will begin a series on core mechanics. After that, or perhaps as part of that, could we please do one or two episodes on creating a platformer using Tiled? Caleb mentioned in a forum post today that he plans to release version 1.0 of Dusk soon. Perhaps, in honor of that, we should use Dusk. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, Jerejigga. When you say platformer, do you have something specific in mind? Maybe a Mario Brothers style platformer? We did an endless runner series some time ago, would that fall into the platform category in this case, or no?

To hijack Jerejigga’s thread :slight_smile:   I would like to see something like a standard platformer example. Simple platforms, climb a ladder (I found this is harder than it sounds with gravity!), jump a gap, pick up a token. 

For some of the standard original game styles, simple demos would be awesome. (The latest Ed did was a great example)
To name some generic ones - slots, card game, checkers, simple shoot em up, the simpler the easier they are to follow.

Keep up the great work team.

Not Corona-based, but a physics programmer who used to work on stuff like Little Big Planet (PSP) and Heavenly Sword had a tutorial on that very thing a few years back, which might be of interest: How to make a 2d Platform Game - part 3 ladders and AI

@graham07, I do see that as hijacking at all. In fact, you describe a big part of what I am looking for! :slight_smile:

Another major component of what I am looking for is that the levels, unlike an infinite runner, are pre-defined using Tiled. So, really, Charles, I’d say that the series on custom gravity (Monsters Needs Coins) is much closer to what I am looking for. The major difference being that I’d like to see Tiled used instead of a custom solution.

Update: I watched the most recent episode and learned that we are moving to an every other week format and that we will begin a series on core mechanics. After that, or perhaps as part of that, could we please do one or two episodes on creating a platformer using Tiled? Caleb mentioned in a forum post today that he plans to release version 1.0 of Dusk soon. Perhaps, in honor of that, we should use Dusk. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, Jerejigga. When you say platformer, do you have something specific in mind? Maybe a Mario Brothers style platformer? We did an endless runner series some time ago, would that fall into the platform category in this case, or no?

To hijack Jerejigga’s thread :slight_smile:   I would like to see something like a standard platformer example. Simple platforms, climb a ladder (I found this is harder than it sounds with gravity!), jump a gap, pick up a token. 

For some of the standard original game styles, simple demos would be awesome. (The latest Ed did was a great example)
To name some generic ones - slots, card game, checkers, simple shoot em up, the simpler the easier they are to follow.

Keep up the great work team.

Not Corona-based, but a physics programmer who used to work on stuff like Little Big Planet (PSP) and Heavenly Sword had a tutorial on that very thing a few years back, which might be of interest: How to make a 2d Platform Game - part 3 ladders and AI

@graham07, I do see that as hijacking at all. In fact, you describe a big part of what I am looking for! :slight_smile:

Another major component of what I am looking for is that the levels, unlike an infinite runner, are pre-defined using Tiled. So, really, Charles, I’d say that the series on custom gravity (Monsters Needs Coins) is much closer to what I am looking for. The major difference being that I’d like to see Tiled used instead of a custom solution.