Support of AndroidX for native PlugIns?

Hi all,

when will there be a support for AndroidX?

My planned PlugIn is depending on a 3rd party SDK which uses AndroidX.
I inlcuded all required dependecies like
implementation "androidx.appcompat:appcompat:1.2.0"

But when it comes to Build the Android version through Corona Simulator, the log lists a lot of errors regarding attr:xxx, style:xxx not found. All those styles are coming with androidx.appcompat.

I am using the latest Project Template “2020.3627” and the code is running welll within the Android Studio using the app provided by the project template.

I am clueless how to solve this issue, so any hint is appreciated.
Markus

2: Task failed with an exception.
                -----------
                * What went wrong:
                Execution failed for task ':App:processReleaseResources'.
                > A failure occurred while executing com.android.build.gradle.internal.tasks.Workers$ActionFacade
                   > Android resource linking failed
                     /Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:333:5-338:13: AAPT: error: style attribute 'attr/colorAccent (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:attr/colorAccent)' not found.

/Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:333:5-338:13: AAPT: error: style attribute 'attr/colorPrimary (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:attr/colorPrimary)' not found.

/Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:333:5-338:13: AAPT: error: style attribute 'attr/colorPrimaryDark (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:attr/colorPrimaryDark)' not found.

/Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:360:5-365:13: AAPT: error: style attribute 'attr/windowActionBar (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:attr/windowActionBar)' not found.

/Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:370:5-372:13: AAPT: error: style attribute 'attr/colorAccent (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:attr/colorAccent)' not found.

/Users/markusthies/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/70d3a7826a07d7707acde11f18323222/jetified-plugin-release/res/values/values.xml:557:5-561:13: AAPT: error: resource style/ThemeOverlay.AppCompat.Light (aka de.explorative.solar2d.bluecode.BlueCodeTest:style/ThemeOverlay.AppCompat.Light) not found.

This is my gradle build definition (project):

dependencies {
    classpath("com.android.tools.build:gradle:4.1.1")
    classpath("com.beust:klaxon:5.0.1")
    classpath("org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:$kotlin_version")
    classpath("com.kezong:fat-aar:1.2.20")
}

This is my gradle build definition (:plugin):

dependencies {
implementation ':Corona@aar'

implementation fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: ['*.jar'])
implementation "androidx.appcompat:appcompat:1.2.0-alpha03"
implementation "androidx.percentlayout:percentlayout:1.0.0"
implementation "androidx.recyclerview:recyclerview:1.0.0"
implementation 'androidx.constraintlayout:constraintlayout:1.1.3'
implementation 'androidx.multidex:multidex:2.0.0'

implementation "com.google.android.material:material:1.0.0"

implementation 'com.wang.avi:library:2.1.3'

embed "at.bluecode.sdk:ui:$VersionBlueCodeSDK"
embed "at.bluecode.sdk:token:$VersionBlueCodeSDK"
embed "at.bluecode.sdk:bluetooth:$VersionBlueCodeSDK"
embed "at.bluecode.sdk:core:$VersionBlueCodeSDK"
embed "at.bluecode.sdk:core-network:$VersionBlueCodeSDK"

// Kotlin Standard Library
implementation "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib-jdk7:$kotlin_version"

// kotlin reflection
implementation "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-reflect:$kotlin_version"
}

In addition to the question above, this topic is also related to multiple AAR files (please see my other question: Plugin depends on multiple frameworks (AAR files)).

But that one I guess could be solved by using a special plugin (com.kezong:fat-aar:1.2.20) which produces one fat aar file out of the dependencies.

No need for a fat-aar file :slight_smile:

I got feedback from @vlads to easily add all dependecies even AndroidX dependencies.

Currently I am updating the documentation of the Corona-Site and create Pull-Request, so that this information is available to the community.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing this feedback?
Trying to migrate the project and there’s a lot of stuff (like for example facebook plugin on android) which won’t build due to dependencies (android x).

Sure, in the mean time the document is already updated. So all information I got to resolve (my) issues are now part of the documentation:

Please see here: https://docs.coronalabs.com/native/android/index.html

In case, you are succeeding, give me a DM.