Testing an update with MacOS

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help…

I have a version of our app installed on my Mac that I have downloaded from the Mac App Store. It has a bunch of user progress associated with it.

I want to release an update, but I want to be sure that the update will install correctly over the top of the current version and that none of the user data will be lost / everything works correctly for users who already own the app.

The problem I have is that when I publish out my new version from Corona to test it, using a development provisioning profile, it opens with none of the user data in it, even though I copy the file to the Applications folder, overwriting the current “App Store” version. It just runs as an entirely new app, as if it was a fresh install.

To my knowledge, I haven’t changed the name, or any details that might make my Mac see it as a different application.

Does anyone know how I can test it as an upgrade over the top of the old version of the app rather than as a clean install?

Thanks,

Ian

If you want your machine to see it as the release app you need to sign it with the release certificate.

Alternately, if all you care about is testing that your data does NOT get whacked do this:

1. Run old version (signed with dev cert).  Create some data, make settings changes.

2. Run new version (signed with dev cert).  Check that changes were not lost.

Your apo’s sandbox files are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/ and is based on the app name, but sometimes based on the BundleID.  It’s possible that the downloaded from the App Store version has a different BundleID than the one with your developer profile.

I’d look into that.

Rob

Thanks for the replies.

I got it working using roaming gamer’s logic in the end by:

1. Publishing out from Corona using the distribution provisioning profile rather than the dev one

2. Then running the pkg installer file to install the app rather than copying the app itself to the applications folder manually, which I tried first but it didn’t work.

Thanks,

Ian

If you want your machine to see it as the release app you need to sign it with the release certificate.

Alternately, if all you care about is testing that your data does NOT get whacked do this:

1. Run old version (signed with dev cert).  Create some data, make settings changes.

2. Run new version (signed with dev cert).  Check that changes were not lost.

Your apo’s sandbox files are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/ and is based on the app name, but sometimes based on the BundleID.  It’s possible that the downloaded from the App Store version has a different BundleID than the one with your developer profile.

I’d look into that.

Rob

Thanks for the replies.

I got it working using roaming gamer’s logic in the end by:

1. Publishing out from Corona using the distribution provisioning profile rather than the dev one

2. Then running the pkg installer file to install the app rather than copying the app itself to the applications folder manually, which I tried first but it didn’t work.

Thanks,

Ian