The End of Corona SDK

Hello all,

I just watched a disturbing video on youtube by Eric Wroolie of Overpass Apps, he said that Corona SDK is basically dead and that if you’ve been working with corona it’s best to move on to unity or something else.

I’ve been learning Corona SDK for a few of years ( I’m a slow learner, I’m in my late 50’s with disabilities ) I really enjoy corona and I was planning on launching an app later this year.

Will that still be possible?

Thanks in advance

Short answer is yes.

Long answer, Corona has rebranded to Solar2D and switched to fully open source with the MIT license which means anyone can enhance the engine and work on it. Also, @vlads is working actively to push core updates to the engine and releasing new versions as we go. You can find the newest version here: https://github.com/coronalabs/corona/releases

We are going through a transtion phase and the migration is not fully complete yet but as you can see in the forums, developers started releasing new games and updates with those new builds which means it’s still working. So yes, you can still launch your app with Solar2D.

2 Likes

YouTubers want sensational headlines because those get them the most views. It wasn’t “the end of Corona SDK” (well, the product hasn’t been Corona SDK for ages, it’s just been Corona or Corona game engine .

All that happened was that the business entity, Corona Labs Inc., ceased to exist. As far as things have been going now, it seems like the community is much more active, everything is more transparent and I’m more positive about Solar2D’s future than I was when Corona Labs Inc. was around.

1 Like

If I had a dollar for every “End of Corona” post… :slightly_smiling_face:

I echo what others have stated, it doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

-dev

1 Like

I find Corona incredibly fast to build and prototype with, and I couldn’t ever achieve that speed in Unity ( and ew, I built a game in that and it sucks).

I would move on to Unreal if I wanted to build really good games, but as someone with 3 hours here and 2 hours there, I don’t have time to do anything more complicated than Corona.

I’m hoping that Vlad gets Solar to a stable point, and then I’ll have the perfect framework to build my small 2d games in my space time :slight_smile:

Seems like you missed the newer video in which he is clearly excited about Solar2D :wink:

1 Like

Thank you all I feel much better now.