Tile Engine options

I fancy starting off coding a new game…
I haven’t used solar for a while so I’m a little out the loop.

I have the idea of 2d top down style game - so I need to find a decent tile engine, I used MTE about 10 years ago (I quite liked it) but I’m not sure if there’s anything else I could/should be using…

Anyone have any recommendations, pros/cons ect…

I’m not that knowledgeable about other tile engines to compare and list some pros and cons, but we are using PonyTiled by @ponywolf in our current project. It’s simple and gets the job done. I also know of Dusk and Berry, but have no idea about any specifics.

I know of at least one other modern project using MTE, though iirc it was heavily customized. Then again, you would be likely to customize any tile engine you pick once your project gets to a certain level of complexity.

Imo, you could just make some simple test project and try using all of the engines you’re considering within — MTE, PonyTiled, Berry, Dusk, etc. If your project isn’t going to be performance-hungry, just check out which engine’s workflow you prefer. If it is, include some relevant tests in said project, e.g. put thousands of objects in the same map/scene and see which engine behaves better for your needs.

Hope that helps a bit! :3

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.