Transparent alpha channel is black on tvOS when using filter.brightness (case 45085)

When using filter.brightness on an image that has transparency, the transparent portion will be filled in with solid black.  This problem reproduces when using the FilterDemo sample app, if you replace the sample image with an image that has alpha transparency.

I filed casenum 45085 for this.

-Tony

Hi Tony,

The docs clearly state that the brightness filter does not consistently support regions of transparent pixels across all devices:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/graphics/effects.html

In any case, I’ve asked the engineers to investigate fixing this. I’ll keep you posted…

Brent

Thanks, Brent!  This is the first time I have seen the issue on any of the platforms I have tested. I have tried it on a few Android devices (4.2, 4,4, 5.0, Kindle, Ouya) and iPad2, iPhone5.  If it can’t be fixed, I would like to know that, too, so I can investigate workarounds.

-Tony

Hi Tony,

I’m almost certain it can be fixed. I should have some updates on this by next week. :slight_smile:

Brent

That’s great news!  

Thanks again,

Tony

Hi Tony,

This should be fixed as of daily build 2016.2831. Can you please confirm?

Also, the “hue” filter suffers from a similar issue, but we’ll be fixing that as well in a daily build shortly upcoming.

Take care,

Brent

Confirmed.  It is looking great now.  Thanks for the follow-up, Brent!

-Tony

Hi Tony,

The docs clearly state that the brightness filter does not consistently support regions of transparent pixels across all devices:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/graphics/effects.html

In any case, I’ve asked the engineers to investigate fixing this. I’ll keep you posted…

Brent

Thanks, Brent!  This is the first time I have seen the issue on any of the platforms I have tested. I have tried it on a few Android devices (4.2, 4,4, 5.0, Kindle, Ouya) and iPad2, iPhone5.  If it can’t be fixed, I would like to know that, too, so I can investigate workarounds.

-Tony

Hi Tony,

I’m almost certain it can be fixed. I should have some updates on this by next week. :slight_smile:

Brent

That’s great news!  

Thanks again,

Tony

Hi Tony,

This should be fixed as of daily build 2016.2831. Can you please confirm?

Also, the “hue” filter suffers from a similar issue, but we’ll be fixing that as well in a daily build shortly upcoming.

Take care,

Brent

Confirmed.  It is looking great now.  Thanks for the follow-up, Brent!

-Tony