Updates Available - LUA Glider Locking up again

For a long time LUA Glider has been working fine. After the most recent update it has started locking up again. When it locks up it is permanent.

Also it says there are updates available, but when I click to update it says; no updates available.

Product Version: Lua Glider 2.0 201403101706

Updates: Updates available

Java: 1.8.0_25; Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 25.25-b02

Runtime: Java™ SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_25-b18

System: Windows 7 version 6.1 running on amd64; UTF-8; en_GB (luaglider2)

User directory: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\luaglider2\dev

Cache directory: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\luaglider2\dev\var\cache       

it seems like as soon as a project gets beyond about 20 files the problems start.

did you ever get this working and did their support ever help you ?

just wondering

nope.

i think Glider is built on top of a IDE called netbeans and apparently that is what has the bugs. 

it crash really frequent tho. both on windows and mac.

it actually crashed my whole mac - i didn’t know that was even possible.

there don’t seem to be many alternatives tho.

and upgrading to windows10 did not help.

it’s sad because the Corona SDK is totally amazing … but … the IDE sucks. I think some people use sublime, but that is really a text editor

> it’s sad because the Corona SDK is totally amazing … but … the IDE sucks. I think some people use sublime, but that is really a text editor

@prographodeveloper, give ZeroBrane Studio another try. I know you mentioned that the debugging didn’t work for you for some reason, but it should be easy to address. I have blog posts on general debugging and on-device debugging with Corona and just recently released a new version with added functionality and updated Corona API (up to v2015.2731). Paul.

+1

Will do.

ZeroBrane has it’s own issues.

Debugging does not work.

Tab width is 2 characters (changing the settings does not change it)

Ctrl-Tab behaves odd (should be like alt-tab but local to the application - everyone else does it that way)

a bunch of other functionality is not there, example, can’t see how to block comment.

do they have a forum - i didn’t see one.

@prographodeveloper I really like using ZeroBrane and I have some tips that might help you out.

I do not use Ctrl+Tab so I cannot speak to that other than to say that the key binding is highly customizable. I don’t fully understand what behaviour you are expecting but you might try looking into changing the key bindings for that. Here are some good references.

https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-general-preferences#editor-key-mapping

https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-editor-preferences#keyboard-shortcuts

https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio/blob/master/cfg/user-sample.lua#L18

For block-commenting, select a block of text to comment or uncomment and type Ctrl+U (Cmd+U on Mac). It’s also available in the menu as Edit > Source > Comment/Uncomment. I am using ZeroBrane version 1.30. Perhaps it was not there in previous versions.

At the top of my main.lua, I have this snippet: require(“mobdebug”).start()

If it’s not there, debugging does not work. I don’t always want debugging enabled though so I keep it commented out until I need to debug.

A detailed debugging guide can be found here: https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-lua-debugging

It does not look like ZeroBrane has a forum but they are accessible other ways: https://studio.zerobrane.com/community

Also, Paul, the primary (sole?) contributor to ZeroBrane, is very active in the Corona forums. In fact, he has already chimed in on this thread. (His user name is paulclinger.) If a Corona user needs help with ZeroBrane, I am sure they would get good results by posting in these forums.

Finally, I really dislike spaces for indenting so I customize every editor I use to use tabs for that. Below are the settings that I have in my user.lua file (Edit > Preferences > Settings:User). These work well for me but I needed to re-start the IDE for them to take effect.

editor.tabwidth = 4

editor.usetabs  = true

I hope what I have shared helps!

@prographodeveloper, I think @jerejigga covered all the points; thanks @jerejigga!

If you still have troubles with the debugging (after adding require(“mobdebug”).start()), please provide some details (steps, any messages in the Output panel) and we’ll try to figure out what’s wrong. Paul.

I have also always been able to get ZeroBrane to work with the above steps outlined by paulclinger…

Glider was a little nicer but ZeroBrane is a very good replacement.

Larry

Everything about the UI and operation of Glider is better.

ZeroBrane is clumsy and unintuitive - like it was designed by teenagers.

Unfortunately I need something that does not crash every hour - so I have moved to ZeroBrane.

> ZeroBrane is clumsy and unintuitive - like it was designed by teenagers.

> Unfortunately I need something that does not crash every hour - so I have moved to ZeroBrane.

@prographodeveloper, I’m open to suggestions on how to make it less clumsy and more intuitive. There are some features that are not easily discoverable, some available as plugins, and some that are in the works. If you can share your suggestions, I’ll see how they can be addressed. Thanks. Paul.

P.S. Also, there is a maillist and other ways to contact me and other users: https://studio.zerobrane.com/community. IRC may be the easiest way if you need a quick answer to something.

it seems like as soon as a project gets beyond about 20 files the problems start.

did you ever get this working and did their support ever help you ?

just wondering

nope.

i think Glider is built on top of a IDE called netbeans and apparently that is what has the bugs. 

it crash really frequent tho. both on windows and mac.

it actually crashed my whole mac - i didn’t know that was even possible.

there don’t seem to be many alternatives tho.

and upgrading to windows10 did not help.

it’s sad because the Corona SDK is totally amazing … but … the IDE sucks. I think some people use sublime, but that is really a text editor