Vungle v4 Documentation

Yeah I had noticed that and that made sense.  It’s just that the documentation says you have to use vungle-v4 everywhere yet as roaminggamer has said that isn’t necessary.  So it was just confusion on my part (and bad documentation) that caused me to ask.

Actually, what I said is, “I have been using the ads.* interface and not it doing the way the docs prescribe.”  

My Vungle 4 code is based on the ‘old style’ where ads.* was the primary entry-point.

I never said the docs were wrong.  I just don’t do it that way.

I use both and both work just fine

I’m using the Github Vungle sample from this below link - 

https://github.com/Vungle/Corona-Plugin/tree/sdk5

I’ve changed the AppID and PlacementID to my own demo IDs. 

Is the code here supposed to work without any change?

Have you tried it with their AppID and Placement IDs?

I did a quick scan of the code and other than they are including the really, really old AdMob/Google Play Services plugin, it looks like it should work.

Rob

I used their App ID and Placement IDs too. It got to the second step where after Init, their Load Ad button got activated. But nothing happened after I tapped Load Ad. 

With my App ID and Placement IDs, I couldnt even initiate. And I cant see the errors. 

I couldnt test the Ads it in the Emulator/Debugger as expected where there’s a log. And apparently there’s no way to see logs when deployed on a physical device. 

Could really use your help Rob? Others?

Almost no Ad provider is going to work in the Corona simulator because the ad providers are making SDK’s for Android and iOS, not Windows and macOS so you have to test on a real device.

If you’re building from a Mac, when you choose the option to “Install to device”, we do route the device’s console log to the Corona console log so you can easily watch what’s going on with the device. If you’re building an Android app from Windows, you will have to either use Android Studio or “adb logcat” to watch the device’s console log for errors.

See: https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/basics/debugging/index.html#consoledevice-debugging

which should help you get “adb” setup and learn to use it.

Rob

Thats great. I’ll check out adb for logging. 

But the sample ad not working is really depressing. Thats the only component which is left in my game.

Could you help by providing a working Vungle code sample?

Actually, Vungle has a different sample app: https://github.com/Vungle/Corona-Plugin/tree/sdk6

This one works. I just ran it on my Nexus 7 as is. Now that said, most of their sample app is setting up a testing UI and you have to cut through a lot of that code to get to the much easier to implement ad code.

FWIW, the sdk5 was for the most part working too, just that each placement it was trying to load was returning as “Not playable”. So apparently they’ve changed how their placement ID’s work or something and the sdk6 version will show you a proper way to make those calls.

FWIW2, if you log into the Vungle portal and go to their “Helpdesk & Docs” page, under plugins, they have a step-through guide for Corona. This is where I found the new repo above.  

https://support.vungle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003413891-Get-Started-with-Vungle-SDK-v-6-Corona

Rob

So I was able to setup the adb and read the logs. 

Init passed in both cases - with my AppId and the demo AppId which was in the sample app to start with. 

But the ad placement loading returned false in all cases. 

I did try the Sample v6 as well. 

It did work perfectly using the default AppID and placement IDs. 

But it deosnt seem to work with my Vungle App credentials.

My Vungle app is in Test mode. Should it NOT work in Test mode?

PS: I’ve dropped in a message to Vungle Support team via email. But havent heard back anything from them yet. 

Vungle SDK6 works great (finally!!)… I am porting my games over as we speak.  

As long as you have the right app id and placement ids it works just fine.  If it works using their defaults but not yours then your credentials are probably incorrectly configured.

Test mode will always work on devices.

SGS 

Could you share how your placement IDs look like?

Here is a screenshot from my Vungle developer portal for placements:

I created a placement I named “billybob”. Vungle gave it a ReferenceID of BILLYBOB-4245367

Looking at their sdk6 code, 

if (platform == "Android") then appData = { appID="5ae0db55e2d43668c97bd65e", placement1 = "DEFAULT-6595425", placement2 = "DYNAMIC\_TEMPLATE\_REWARDED-5271535", placement3 = "FLEX\_VIEW-4423991" } else 

You would use the string that’s been uppercased and had a number attached to it as the placementID.

Rob

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m using those exactly. 

What is your console log from your device telling you?

Nothing. 

The event for isAdPlayable returns false when trying to load a placement. 

Can you post your code?

I finally got it working. 

So I contacted the Vungle team and they helped out. 

Apparently the sample code used 3 placement IDs and if I didnt replace all three with valid new ones it would not initialize. 

So if you are looking to use only one placement ID in your game, then use just that one while initializing the Vungle ad object. 

Happy to help anyone else who is stuck!